PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I went on to Pipedia today, just looking, and I finally found the Dunhill that I would buy, hands down if I were rich. It's a 1927 Dunhill UT for just under $2000.00 - my taste has always been beyond my pocketbook. Oh well . . .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If cost were no issue, I believe I would commission pipes from carvers after getting to know their work,

and them personally, so I could communicate my ideas about what I wanted. There is a world of magnificent

estate pipes, some unsmoked, from practically every era going back almost a century, but the idea of having

a pipe made in collaboration with my ideas is even more irresistible. Instead, I do marvel at what I can get

at the most modest price level. No one needs to go without a good smoke, almost literally no one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You could commission that shape from any number of makers. It may even be a better pipe because tools, materials are better than they had in 1927 and possibly smoke better. But it still wouldn't be a 1927 Dunhill.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I hate to say this, but it is ugly. And probably soggy & oversmoked.
+1
Looks are subjective, but it's true that it is likely over smoked.
But I still get what you mean. You may be able to commission a similar looking pipe, but it won't have the history.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since some of my pipes bought new are pushing 40 years old, I think of them as one-owner estate pipes.

Unfortunately, no 1927 Dunhills.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
If I were a rich man,

Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.

All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
and I'd buy it if it were a Zulu :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What happens if a pipe is oversmoked? I've heard briars can actually burn out, but I'm not entirely sure what that means. I'm interested because I have a fifty-year old pipe (I got it for an awfully good price); it does seem to overheat. Is that a symptom of an oversmoked pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.