If I made an attempt at a tobacco review...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Would a veteran pipe smoker be willing to approve it before I posted it? I don't want to post something publicy, thinking it is the cat's pajamas, when it reality, it's poor. I've never done a review before, but I'm looking to give it a go. If anyone would be kind enough to look over a future review, I would be very thankful!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I say just go for it. There is no right or wrong. It is your opinion of the tobacco and the experience of smoking it. I wrote a review on here and it went over well. I just sat down with a pen and paper and my pipe, and told the story of my experience. I look forward to reading it buddy!!!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Hay Shawn, nice to hear from you again. I'm thinking H&H Ambassador's Blend. It's one that I don't hear about much on here.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had been smoking a pipe all of a couple months when I wrote this review: http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth--home-magnum-opus#392
Just write the story of your experience with the tobacco. Be descriptive and stick to what you know and you'll be fine. People want to hear about the appearance, the pouch/tin note, wet/dry/feel of the tobacco, flavors on the charring light and true light, how well it smokes, flavors and experiences throughout the smoke etc. Also comparisons to other experiences they might relate to. You don't have to get poetic if it isn't your style. Just be yourself.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/reviews-without-tears.php
Give that a read before posting your review. Greg knows his stuff!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I have that page saved as my homepage. It's where I got the idea to write a review. I wrote one earlier today titled Hearth & Home Ambassador's Blend. The thread should still be on the main page.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Any review is basically anecdotal evidence. It's your experience and how you relate that to readers is what they will remember. In some ways it is an informative essay and it is a little bit persuasive on occasion, especially I'd you want your readers to try it for themselves. As long as the right topics are covered and your presentation is interesting, whether people agree or not, they will like the review.

Jul 15, 2011
I read the review in question and thought that you did a fine job. The big thing about a tobacco review is, as Baron said, that it is your own personal experience. What I like to do when I think about what a tobacco tastes like is just to compare it with other flavors that you know, be it in food, drink, or anything really. There are some tobaccos that I have smoked that tasted like a good wheat bread, so that's how I review it. Haddo's delight tastes like a fine red wine. Thats what I write. Hell, if I think a tobacco tastes like a bologna sandwich on white bread with mustard and sauerkraut, I probably got a bad batch of tobacco, but that's what I taste, so that's what I write. There was a Burley blend that I smoked not too long ago and thought to myself when I first tasted it, "This tastes like a really good peanut butter sandwich." It's all about applying what you know to how the tobacco tastes. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the tastes you describe should be able to relate in one way or another. Dont be afraid to tell us what you think and what you taste because in the end, thats all thats really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.