PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
First, a bit of background...

I'm not great with dates (unfortunately I have an artist brain), but these are very close approximations.

I started smoking a pipe with a friend in '92 or '93 in Dayton, OH while in college. We bought corn cob pipes and a cherry aromatic from Meijer. Being a tobacco fiend (cigarette smoker/occasional cigar smoker/chewer) I stuck with it. After finishing the pipe tobacco, I smoked mostly RYO Drum & Bugler out of my pipe for years. About 1999 or 2000, I went to Edward's in Denver, CO --- actually Englewood, but close enough (my new home). I bought some Drury Lane *re-packaged 1Q* and an Edward's Pipe at the suggestion of the owner, Brian. Tom, the manager, later suggested a Savinelli 2nd labeled, "Tom's Special," and some Haddo's Delight.
To my original subject...

I now wish I had explored the blends available in the early 90s, not to mention bargain pipes. I really wish that I had bought more Edward's pipes in the early 2000's. I also wish that I had taken advantage of the inexpensive Savinelli 2nds during that time and maybe started buying Greg's Syrian blends also.
Anyone else ever think back to earlier days of pipe smoking and wish you had the knowledge you have now?
I realize it's a little like wishing that I had the foresight to buy Microsoft Stock, but I was a pipe smoker in a grocery store world and then after discovering a great B&M, too much of a newbie/tourist to recognize great things right in front of me.
Anyone else?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've only been smoking pipes since April of 2011, and based on my previous experience with cigars I wanted to try all sorts of tobacco blends, and began buying estate pipes early as well as new pipes. Over the past 5 plus years I've built up a nice (small) collection of pipes and tobacco's. It's been a fun ride so far, and I expect to be the same going forward.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
OP, I get what you are saying; however, I do not really have any regrets because it has been an amazing ride. I could wish that I had been willing to branch out sooner into the world of none Lane tobacco's, but if I had I would have not know how to properly pack a pipe and smoke in a cool, dry and non-bitey fashion. Who knows, maybe I would have written off move Virginian forward blends and been stuck thinking I could not enjoy anything but aromatics.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'm with Warren on this one. I could spend all day with the "Could of, should of, would of" mantra, but I have the NOW and could not ask for a better thing than to be in the now. Let go of the past, embrace the present, and look forward to a better informed future. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Put fire to a pipe for the first time in the Spring of '91. Wish my attempts hadn't been trial and error, but hey, live and learn. I say ignorance is bliss, but had I known what I know now, would have stocked up on a lot more tobaccos that are now extinct.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I havnt been with pipe smoking long, but I feel fortunate to have gotten here when I did. Im looking forward to the discoveries yet to be made.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I first started it was mostly a practical matter for me.

I wanted nicotine, but I didn't want paper fumes.

I became an enthusiast shortly after I began to learn more about the subject, but especially after reading the input of the participants in this forum.

Here you get, not only all sorts of experience shared about pipes and tobacco, but a good dose of philosophy, humor, camaraderie, generosity, and acquisition disorders you had never thought possible.

For the 'newbie', it's about success and we can all BUY the stuff, although not all of us will know how to enjoy it.

Encouraged by the stories of mellow moments, transcendent treacle, deliciously sweet, savory, pungent, cool, dry, pipes and tobacco, we follow in your footsteps.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Just wish I would have known there was something like this forum when I started. Would have made my journey easier and less costly

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Instead of being a "part-time" pipe smoker for so many years, I wish I would have spent more time smoking pipes and less time smoking cigarettes. Turns out pipes bring me much more enjoyment than cigs do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah on the BS..... The Balkan Sobranie, that is. If I had the foresight 50 years ago, I would have bought and stockpiled a few hundred tins of the original. But, no, I wouldn't change much.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Never gave it any thought before and having briefly, no. Are what I is because of not knowing those things. You got your known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.... Dig? Truth is I just need a time machine and handful period correct bills.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Dayton in the early 90s.. ever run in to Kim and Kelley?
You mean, Mrs. John Murphy?
To the OP, I don't regret any choices in pipe or tobacco that I have made. I think some of the tobaccos I prefer now would have scared me off back when I started.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't been smoking long enough to have those kinds of regrets, but I have been stocking up on favorites that are still available, like 3Ps, C&D Burley Flake and (lately) War Horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.