PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I recently received a lot of four pipes from an online auction. They were poorly photographed, but I thought I saw the one dot stem. I got it for $31 delivered. Upon inspection, it was a Dunhill Shell Canadian with an oval shank. It has a silver band and a metal rim, silver plated. It is a most sincere pipe for a Dunhill.
The pipe has been used a lot. The is a crack in the metal rim cover, and a thin crack in the shank (about .5 in.) to the band, which is probably why the band is there.
Markings are tough to read. It says "ES" or "E^" on it. It has a small bowl. It has been polished a lot in its life. It almost looks like it once had a small nub on the bottom of the bowl like a clay pipe.
Any information about it would be appreciated!
DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

It is 6 7/8" long.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I like it but sorry I don't know anything about dunhill pipes. With a little bit of elbow grease I think that pipe could look spectacular.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sure looks lovely! The nomenclature, if it hasn't been buffed off, would be the key to it's identity. It sure looks very old. If you need any help cleaning it up, give me a shout.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The patent number and other identifying marks should be on the underside of the stem. From the look of it there is some age to it. I was able to date my grandfather's Dunhill to 1932. Here's some additional info.
http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Other than the makings I mentioned, I can see "MADE IN _______ 2" and the patent letters "Pat _________ 34", I have viewed it under 10 power magnification and cant see any more. I aim to get a digital microscope. until then, its a mystery!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Other than the makings I mentioned, I can see "MADE IN _______ 2" and the patent letters "Pat _________ 34", I have viewed it under 10 power magnification and cant see any more. I aim to get a digital microscope. until then, its a mystery!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That is so excited. It would be so cool to find a Dunhill that cheap. I love the look of those capped pipes.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I appreciate all of you comments and suggestions.
This is my third Dunhill I have found hidden in a lot in my purchases. The first two I sold because they didn't pass my hand test. Any pipe I keep has to feel good in my hand. I got those in a lot of four pipes I bought because of what turned out to be a Sav Sherwood Rhodesian that I liked. The two Dunhills were a bonus (A bent and a poker). I sold them for $200 (got the lot delivered for just over $40. I kept the Sav!
This one does feel good in my hand and, as I have stated, it is very sincere in that it is well used and not a museum piece. It will be my keeper. While I am very comfortable with my restoration and repair skills, I will send it off to my guy for a truly professional job. I will post pictures when its done. Thanks again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't wait to see it restored, that is a elegant piece. Perhaps your guy can uncover more of the nomenclature, sometimes removing the grime allows the stamping to be read with a magnifying glass or loupe.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
It's like solving a murder mystery. Have you found all the Dunhills on an online auction or were you lucky and found them in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.