PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Long story short I'm looking to identify this maker of this pipe. I've googled it and searched the forums here but I'm coming up blank. A bit of back history in case it helps "line up" clues. It was my grandfather's and he was a very practical man due to his childhood. I can't imagine him spending a lot on it. It's got these strange slightly raised dots on both sides of the bowl, that look like they might have been left by a vise. But the dots are raised and not indentations. I'm almost 100% positive he didn't make it, but he was the type to "improve" things he felt could work better.
It's got a makers mark in the form of a small triangle on one side of the shank. On the opposite side etched in cursive is "Caroleer" or "Caroleen". There might be a faint slash mark like "-" above the two e's, but I can't tell. I've googled every possible version of the spelling I can think of. Last thing I can think to mention was that he lived in Madison Wisconsin. I looked everywhere else for other markings but can't find any. It doesn't have a filter of any sort.
I'm hoping to find out how made it or if you can put me on the right track. This pipe is something that has great sentimental value to me. I love having it on my liquor cabinet. It's got a huge bowl filled with thick cake in it and it's pretty banged up. I haven't decided if I'm going to refurbish it or not. If I did it would be after I get some practice time in and buy the right items. I'd probably leave the big hole he ate in the bottom of the stem for character reasons. I'm tempted to just leave it alone and enjoy picking it up now and then and looking at it, but I know if he were around he'd tell me I might as well smoke it to get some use out of it.
I don't know if dropbox pics work here or not so I'll post a separate link. And sorry about the pic. I took it with my phone. Thanks in advance.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47370745/IMG_20120628_163415-1.jpg
IMG_20120628_163415-1.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey, thank you very much for looking that up and the reply. I haven't had much luck either. Knowing my Grandfather he probably traded a hunk of venison for it or acquired it in a friendly card game.
Oddly enough I was looking through some old pics of him and noticed its in a picture marked 1953.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
A friend of mine who collects Custombilts, who is not a member of this forum, asked me to pass this on.
"He has a Caroleer manufacurted by Custombilt pipe company, made from Mountain Laurel from the carolinas during world war two when briar was hard to get."
Hope that helps!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
HOLY COW.
I missed the update to this thread two weeks ago.
You guys have no idea, but you've REALLY made my day. Besides my head full of memories this is all I have left from my Grandfather. Seriously. I won't lie...my eyes got a little moist.
I'm such a racial mutt and a vagabond, it really means a lot to have some family history. This weekend I think I'll spend some time restoring it on Father's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.