PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The humidor in the picture on the LH side has an unusual gold device on top of it. Can anyone ID this for me? There is also a nice single pipe display stand on the RH side.

Walnuthumidor.jpg

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Any marking on either one? It's hard to identify pipe furniture because so many now that I have purchased came with out stickers and there are so many over seas companies that make them nowadays.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I guess the gold thing is the lid which is hinged back in the open position and there is a silver ring at the top of the container so it's hard to tell what kind of liner it has in it....it looks like it was made for pipe tobacco though.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I was mainly wondering if if would be suitable for pipe tobacco or not. I'm also looking at a standard humidor/8 pipe unit that is made of Mahogany with a white glass liner that is on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190402849777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Well, I won the auction for the 8 Pipe rack/Humidor, so I'll have to get it here and do a quick sanding of the original finish so that I can apply some Fire Red stain by Masters, followed by a light coat of Lacquer, then apply the Mahogany tinted grain filler. Then it will be 3 coats of Lacquer, leaving the flattening agent in the bottom of the can ( just pouring the Lacquer off the top of the can to get the higher gloss I prefer). This is what it looks like now.

Humidor1.jpg

Humidor2.jpg

As big as the Humidor section is, I may make a new box section out of acrylic that will take up the front half of the space, so that the back half can be used for pouch brands. It looks big enough now that it should hold 16oz of bulk in the front half.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Hobie,

That will certainly be beautiful when you've re-finished it.

But, you might consider locating some glass re-sealable jars rather than an acrylic box insert. It may extend the freshness of your tobaccos, pouches are fine for the short run but a good seal on a glass jar is superior in the long term.
Just a suggestion; you could probably find some square jars at a kitchen supply.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I also thought about getting one of the humidifier pads that are installed in the top lid, and also putting in one of the glass faced, brass bezel humidifier gauges on the front of it...likely just overkill though.

Status
Not open for further replies.