PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2015
This is a pipe alleged to be my Great-great-grandfather's. I just received it from my Father today but unfortunately neither of us really know the history of it. There is a photo of him smoking it somewhere, hopefully I can find it!
There are no markings on the pipe. The bowl appears to be briar, I think. The fitting where the bowl screws in, shank, and stem LOOK to be Amber. I tried some nail polish remover on it to check, and it passed the test.
The pipe has a metal screw tenon and a black metal banded shank, which may be oxidation. The button is gone and someone has filed it down generously and the bottom of the pseudo-button bears a tooth-hole.
I would like to find out some information on the pipe if possible, and any restoration tips are appreciated. At this point I plan on cleaning it thoroughly, and possible having the stem repaired. I'd like it to stay in the current condition otherwise.
IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
It looks like an old KB&B, pipe from the 1920s. The band on the shank may be oxidized, or replaced and once would have been silver or nickel that would have had the KB&B logo on it. I believe the material that the bowl screws into could actually be bakelite. I'm no expert on these old pipes but I have seen old pipes that look like that made by KB&B and also WDC, but this looks more like a KB&B to me.
Hope this helps some, but others here may know more about these pipes than me.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've had a lot of pipes like that. They range from really high end to more basic types. The styles show a progression over time. Stem and base section are both Bakelite. Redmanol is the same stuff as Bakelite. The metal threads indicate a 1920s manufacture. The band is probably oxidized silver. Polish it up and maybe it will show a logo. The bowl looks like the version that is some type of pressed wood material. All the big pipe factories made or branded pipes like that at the time. KB&B, WDC, LHS, MLC are some of them.
Here's a Manhattan I have that is of a similar type.
Manhattan%20Bakelite%20Replaceable%20bowl_zpsbxmqxmxd.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your great-great grandfather's pipe, now that's a legacy. Very impressive pipe. I agree with your idea of preserving it mostly as is. It would be good to see a photo once it's cleaned up.

rakntur

Lurker
Jun 5, 2012
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I agree it looks like a KB&B socket pipe I restored for a friend that indeed has a redmanol stem and bottom. These are entiques and highly collectible not to mention great pipes, but they tend to need a lot of cleaning because of the weird design that predates Kirstens by more than two decades. I also just finished a KB&B Blueline Bakelite for the same repeat customer. If you look closely at your pipe, it seems to be missing the gold band that should be there, which looks to have been removed.

PS: I don't know what's wrong with my images, but you can view them at https://www.facebook.com/pg/roadrunnerpipes/photos/?tab=albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.