PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
To me not all Virginia's are created equally. While blends that are primarily yellow like Orlik Golden Sliced are enjoyable to me, I REALLY love the blends that are heaviest in red Virginias.
I love McClelland Christmas Cheer, along with McCranies Red Flake (also made by McClelland). What other Virginias are heavily red Virginias that people recommend?

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
5100 was what came to my mind as well. A nice smoke--a little one dimensional, but sometimes that's not a bad thing!

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Ahh yes - 5100 is another of my favorites. Especially at bulk prices. I've got some tins of Blackwoods Flake too, but haven't cracked them yet.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Besides what was previously mentioned:

H&H Louisiana Red... lots of Red Va. and some perique.

MacBaren Pure Virginia... big burst of red Virginia flavor.

Solani Silver Flake... lots of red Va. and a little Kentucky.

Reactions: vosBghos

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks JimInks.
Have you ever published a top 5 or 10 list of your favorites in various categories like straight Virginia, vaPer,VaBur, English, etc?
You're one of the two people I search for everytime on tobaccoreviews.com (the other being Steve - Pipestud). Thanks for all of your reviews.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jmatt: No, I haven't. Never thought about it much, except for when I was trying to figure out what to cellar in my price range. I have 9 lbs. of Louisiana Red, btw. Love the stuff!!!
There's some red Virginia in H&H Rolando's Own. It may be less than what you want (probably about half the blend?), but it's a very under rated VaPer if you're into them. Wessex Red Flake is okay, but lacks depth of flavor. I hear McClelland Red and Black (half red Va. and half stoved Va.) is very good, but again, it may be less red than you want.
I thank you for the kind words and confidence in my reviews.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Red and black is a wonderful blend. But half of it is stoved and probably started out as Bright.
I have probably way too much in the cellar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
C&D Old Joe Krantz and GLP Triple Play Plug are both nice Va/Bur/Per's with Red Virginia

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
+1 for all the terrific McClelland blends with red Virginias.

I'd also suggest Robert McConnell Red Virginia as one I personally find to be delicious. It's actually a VaPer but the perique is lightly applied.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on what Peteguy said. McCranie's Red Ribbon is my idea of what a Virginian ought to taste like. The first time I tried it I was stunned by the sublime taste of this tobacco, available from only one source.

Reactions: vosBghos
McClelland Blakeney's Tawny Flake has been toasted to remove a lot of the sharp edges off the reds. McClelland's Aurora is a blend of red and darker Virginias that I have to have stocked up at all times. It's in my top ten. And, McClelland Stave-Aged 35 Virginia Ribbon is a unique blend with the strangeness of being aged in whiskey barrels to give it a unique whiskey casing effect. I like it even though I am not a drinker. It's good for when you just want something different but red.

I can't believe someone would say that McCrannies is hard to get. They're old school. Call them give them your address, they send it to you, and then you send them a check. How much freaking easier can it get? Much safer and easier than putting in your credit card information on a website. It gets to you quick and easy, and they trust you to send them the check asap, which you don't see much of any more.

But, if you don't pay, we all come to your house and curb stomp you. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.