Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Yo, as per title I'm looking at trying some Burley heavy blends that are strong also. I've seen Orlik dark strong Kentucky reviewed a few times in various places and it's stocked by my go to shop. Is this a good place to start with the Burley adventure?
It's because I've been learning lately that there are tastes that aren't being met by my usual sorts of baccy. I'm guessing Burley is what I'm looking for when I don't want sweet, spicy, fruity or latakia.
Am I right in this assumption? I'm not getting any nutty rich flavours that naren't also followed by any of the above. And sometimes I just don't want those flavours going on. I often chew twist when I feel like that, but I'd like to understand Burley better anyway as it's no very predominant in English blends I buy (that I can tell).
Cheers for any help

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cornell & Diehl is the leader in burley blends. Study up at any one of the sponsor online retailers to get a feel for their inventory. Old Joe Krantz and Billy Budd are two of their full-strength popular picks, but there are many more. You might also like the Belgium variant burley blend Tobac-Manil Semois, in either thick cut or medium. There are many good burley blends by different brands, and I'm sure others will chime in with there favorites. Remember, some people can't really taste burley, and others really don't like it, but for those of us who do, it's often great. Five Brothers is quite good, strong.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I am not familiar with the Orlik blends at all but my tastes are similar to what you are after, although Burley can be subtly sweet.
A couple of blends I would send you to are MacBaren Old Dark Fired and GLP Cumberland and GLP Jacknife plug.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I'd suggest Solani Aged Burley Flake. It has some dark-fired Kentucky, but also has air-cured, and will give you an excellent and high-quality example of what burleys offer. Unlike most burley blends, I believe Aged Burley Flake is completely free of Virginias, which is another advantage.
Of course, I do like DSK, and it's absolutely worth trying...
Just my 2 cents...

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
All of the above blends are great suggestions. An most of then especially the Jackknife plug make good blending baccy. But don't forget to get some Five Brothers for a fast stong an good smoke. Good Luck on your quest.

@chasingembers haven't gotten around to that one yet. But if you suggest it. It's got to be a winner.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mctinner sent me a sample of them, and I promptly ordered a pound. Great stuff!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After having sampled 14oz tubs of various codger burley blends like SWR, PA, CH and 1/2&/1/2, and some of the Hearth and Hearth clones, I discovered the delights of the C&D offerings.
mso489 has mentioned two excellent blends. I might add Big n' Burley and Pegasus to those suggestions, as well as buying some of C&D's bulk burleys and mixing in your own additives. I use perique and latakia in small amounts and find that these adds, judiciously measured, enhance rather than dominate the results.
These days I'm smoking a lot of my own mixes, comprised of quality leaf for less than $2.00 an oz.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I found the ODS to be neither all that dark or strong in taste but YMMV. The suggestions above are better I think. I tried it a few times going back and forth between it and Old Dark Fired. No comparison. ODF was better every time in taste and strength.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
mso489 has mentioned two excellent blends. I might add Big n' Burley and Pegasus to those suggestions, as well as buying some of C&D's bulk burleys and mixing in your own additives.
+1 ... I have a jar with equal parts BNB, OJK and Billy Budd called Big Mike's Burley Blend. :D
Dark Fired leaf is delicious but for the nutty flavor you described Natural / Toasted Burley is king.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
The first blend I ever bought was Old Joe Krantz, and its a strong blend, strong like "shouldn't be smoked on an empty stomach" strong. I have bought a tin of the Orlik DSK, and I'd say its more of a desert blend than a meat and potatoes. I love Jack Knife Plug and have a few other blends with burley, but I dont smoke them often because my wife doesnt like the roomnote.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
+1 ... I have a jar with equal parts BNB, OJK and Billy Budd called Big Mike's Burley Blend. [:D]
That sounds right. :D

Big n' Burley was the first tobacco that really gave me the nicotine overload, but I kept smoking it patiently and soon became attuned.

Early on in my reading of these pages I learned that many use Carter Hall as a blender/mixer and found that moderating some of these stout blends with CH subdues their nic w/o degrading their tastes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you're looking for nutty tobacco flavors, you're probably going to want regular burley (the air cured kind) rather than dark fired. I love dark fired blends, like Jackknife Plug, but they're really a different genre altogether.
If you want strong burley, you really can't do better than Cornell & Diehl. There's the bulk blends like Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop. The Burley Flake series is also really good. My favorite is #2, but #3 is similar and also good -- both would satisfy the "nutty" requirement. #1 has tons of dark burley, so it's really got a dark, earthy flavor. I've never had #4, but it has Latakia in it.
If you really want pure, nutty burley flavor, try the Cube Cut Burley from Cornell and Diehl. It's meant as a blending component, but I smoke it straight or add it to things like Old Joe or Haunted Bookshop. Great stuff, cheap and it packs easy.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I agree with MSO. If you're looking to start trying big burley's give C&D a look. Burley is kind of their 'thing'. My personal favorites of theirs are Haunted Bookshop and Burley flake #2.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky tastes good to me, but I would not say it is what you are looking for as a "strong burley". The dark fired burley component is neither enormously dark or strong; people often mention the licorice-like aspect, but I pick up more of a sweet molasses with maybe a little licorice in the background. The Virginia component is insanely good for me; if they stripped the center stripe of Va out and sold it by itself, I would buy it. Overall, it is kind of sweet and dessert-ish, and for me excels in a cob instead of a briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.