PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfObIQJHq5G/
I don't have any affiliation with the Instagram account this is on. But I read about Skater pipes, not the Charatan shape, made from clay that would be attached to coats of ice skaters of the past. If you fell, that means you were unskilled, a fragile clay pipe would break. If you could keep it in one piece then you were a good skater. The video show some of them. The ones that are tied in a round knot mad it easier to put on your coat I think.
I wish I could figure out how to download the video, but I don't have an account.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Thank you for sharing this. It is a fascinating bit of history and pipe lore. I wonder if those clay pipes with the curled up stems smoked well, it is very cool.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That is a true piece of history, thanks for sharing!............ I liked this part- "The real professionals took a so-called office-pipe, which was over 50 centimeter long. To bring it back undamaged was an act of true heroism."........... WOW, that's over 20 inches, and they skated 15 miles.......... 8O

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Office pipe sounds better to me than churchwarden. I can't tell if some of the pipes that were tied in a knot were able to be smoked. I have seen them come up on ebay occasionally but I have never gone after one.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That was cool. I had not heard or seen anything about this practice before. I would wager that more than one hip flask caused some damage to the rear area.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for posting, what a great event :). Would love to try to smoke those extreme bends :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This must mean that taking a tumble while skating on a frozen river was really common. If it was just smooth skating, there would be no celebration about getting the pipe to Rotterdam in one piece. Along those lines, my sister got a 14" Gouda clay pipe all the way home on the plane from The Netherlands, and mailed it to me, and it remained in one piece, so she gets some kind of plaudit. She was somewhat surprised herself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for posting, what a great event :). Would love to try to smoke those extreme bends :)
Only if they'll pass a pipe cleaner! They do look very interesting.
And I wonder if it resembled roller derbies in a small way. Ya know, a subtle hip check here and there....

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
wkx7DsR.png

here is the first article I read about this.

geejay61

Lurker
Jul 25, 2018
As far a I do remember the pipe was a little claypipe. About 15cm (5.9inch). They had to take it back together with a package of cookies (Goudse Stroopwafels)

These little claypipes are now used by tasting en testing tobaccos.

I had made a picture but I don't know how to post them.
GanZ5J.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder how the terrific skating culture of The Netherlands is doing with the odd high temperature trends. Do the canals still freeze thick enough for safe skating? Maybe one of our Dutch members will give us a weather report for last winter or later this winter.

geejay61

Lurker
Jul 25, 2018
No mso489, we haven't had winters, like you described, for ages. The last "Elfstedentocht" was in 1997. We can skate, most of the time on special created icetracks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In his book titled The Christmas Pipe author Richard Carleton Hacker devotes several pages to the tradition of clay pipe skating in Holland. He states, in part, "One of the most famous of the old clay pipe skating contests was the 200 kilometer race from Gouda to Rotterdam. Rotterdam residents would come to Gouda, purchase any number of clay pipes, fasten them onto their clothing, and then streak back across the ice to their hometown, trying not to snap a stem on the way. Cracks and other irregularities in the ice, not to mention an overabundance of Christmas cheer, often meant few skaters and their pipes arrived back in Rotterdam without getting 'smashed.'" Mr. Hacker further notes that manufacturers have been producing clay pipes in Gouda for over 250 years.
If my arithmetic is correct, 200 kilometers equates to 124.27 statute miles - just imagine skating so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.