PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Regardless of recent events, I've been looking forward to getting my hands on a Briarworks pipe ever since I heard about the company on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show last year.

And here it is!

It's a Corduroy Bent Egg, a little over 5" long, beautiful marbled Acrylic stem (it's hard to translate a white/clear marbling into pictures) and I specifically chose this shape for the deep bow (just under 2"). The cost was $110, which is the cheapest I've ever seen a Briarworks pipe.

To cut to the chase, the engineering is nearly everything I expected.

The draw is probably perfect, I'd say it's halfway between my most restrictive pipe and a Cob, and I love the draw on a cob. Looking at how thin the wall of the air passage in the stem is this pipe is definitely near the limits of how open you can make the draw without making the stem thicker.

It's a little more open than my Savinelli (though that is a bent pipe so I'll have to give a comparison update when my 320 arrives).

The tenon is Teflon, attached by some mechanical wizardry where they first thread it into the stem and then fuse the two materials together. I would say "we'll see if it holds", but I have no doubt the two materials are as good as one piece now. The feel on the tenon is something else, both snug and very smooth, and a distinct lack of squeaking when you twist it on and off.

On the Briarworks website they mention that the tenon is sized almost perfectly with the depth of the mortise, leaving as little space as possible while still allowing for the expansion of the wood after exposing it to moisture.

The start of the air passage is nicely beveled to reduce drag.

Unfortunately the drilling for the draft hole goes partway into the mortise. I've seen this on one other pipe and it greatly annoyed me there as it created some slop in the fit, fortunately this is still solid but I do question whether holes in your mortise should be an acceptable industry standard. At least it's covered when the stem is attached here.

Briarworks also says that tolerances on the tenon and mortise are tight enough to order replacement stems without sending the pipe away for fitting, which is good to know if you're a clencher.

The button on this pipe is very nice, one of the best, though I still prefer the smaller-still Churchwarden buttons this is coming close, and again no Churchwarden will have a draw this open (though I look forward to the day Briarworks takes up the challenge).

The transition from airway to slot here is nicely tapered, a rare thing on a pipe this price, though I have noted looking at translucent Briarworks stems that you can see some pipes only have a normal slot with corners in the transition. I'm sure the draw is almost exactly the same but I prefer the fully tapered transition primarily because it makes it easier to clean, and theoretically it smooths the draw (you wuuld need to ask an aerodynamicist how much).
Moving down one post for more room for images...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I absolutely LOVE my Icarus Volcano with corduroy finish. The draw on it is unmatched in factory pipes. The stem being cut a bit thinner makes for excellent effortless clenching. It's very well balanced. It's rather light while still having the wall thickness I like. The drilling on mine is spot on. I really can't say enough good things about that pipe or the company.
That is one beautiful bent egg! I hope yours is as wonderful for you as mine has been for me.

Mar 1, 2014
The button is so pretty that I took a bunch of comparison photos. The size of the buttons should be correct relative to each other since I didn't touch focus between shots and the depth of field is very thin on macro shots at this distance.
Icarus Bent Egg

Ashton Billiard (not an impressive slot though technically still a tapered transition, I think I need to do some filework on this one. This is one of my more restrictive pipes at the moment. At least the button is smaller than the Icarus.)

Ashton Full Bent (much better, good draft and drilling)

Ferndown Bulldog (though the Churchwarden stem that also came with this pipe isn't nearly as nice)

Savinelli 614

Rossi Canadian (the draft hole on this pipe was nearly plugged with bowl coating, I picked most of it off and it's a good draw, once I get it drilled out a little more it might be almost as open as the Icarus, though you can see the slot is a bit smaller and the button is still on the large side)

Nording Churchwarden (I have to say as far as overall feel goes these are absolutely my favorite, between the two I have they are almost exactly the same, very smooth, small and precisely drilled)

Vauen Churchwarden (my second favorite button but the rest of the pipe is still one of my favorites, another Egg shape, but a little larger than the Icarus here and I love using pipecleaners in the 9mm filter slot to block crumbs. It really does make the bowl much more enjoyable).

Missouri Meerschaum Vulcanite Freehand Stem (about average draw, much more restrictive than the plastic stems)

Missouri Meerschaum Plastic Stem (ugly, but look at the size of that hole!)

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Great review frozen!
I love the shots of all the button and slot work of those pipes. Thanks for taking the time to show us those.

Mar 1, 2014
And now we come to the grim post, what's wrong with this pipe.
It's obvious they gave it this finish and price because of some flaws.
This isn't visible most of the time but it looks like a tooling mark under the right light.

This looks like a scratch but it goes a millimeter or so into the briar, so I suspect it's the end of a crack.

Lastly, a bit of a rant: Why so small?

I don't like smoke in my eyes, my Ashton (right side) at 6.6" is ok, even the Rossi Canadian (not pictured) at 6" isn't bad but I don't like going much shorter than that. To use this pipe I'm going to have to pay extra attention to wind direction. The same applies to the Savinelli 320 I have on the way, but...

The maw on the 320 is going to be almost as big as my Nording here that I ground out to 1.1". Big bowls are much better for aromatics, when I tried some Sutliff Elizabethan Match in this pipe the flavour went from "sweet" to nearly cloying, a term I thought I would never use (I have the sweet tooth of a hippopotamus). Latakia benefits from a wider bowl as well.

I know size is relative, but out of all the designs available at launch Briarworks doesn't make a single pipe over 6" long, or chambers anywhere close to 1" in diameter. It was a bit of a letdown after I got all hyped up for the release of these pipes to see that none of their shapes fit what I was really looking for.

I'm going to like this pipe, but I will probably never love it, even if it is technically superior to every other pipe out there it only performs best in a narrow range of scenarios for me.

I've heard that Briarworks has some new shapes coming out this year, hopefully one of them is at least a normal sized pipe because I would gladly say they have the best pipes I have ever seen if only they would make a pipe for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That hole in the mortise is more prevalent the more extreme the bend in the pipe. I have seen this on many Nording pieces as well as oompauls. Should not affect the pipe's performance at all. Gorgeous pipe btw. Love that white stem; great contrast to the stummel. Been eyeballing Icarus and Neptune pipes for a while.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Yes the drill hole intersecting the mortise is to allow for drilling the bend in the pipe. You will see this even on high grade pipes. The other option is to ramp the airway to center with the tenon. I've tried both on my pipes but seem to prefer the method you are seeing on your new pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Excellent button comparisons. That Icarus button, at that price point is outstanding.

They do tend to trend down in size, which I find appealing. I also like the white stem contrast on the corduroy finish.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nice substantive review mate. I like that shape. This begs the question....what the heck is going on at Ashton?
You've got me a bit curious about Nording Churchwardens now. Are there any you recommend?
FYI I've never had my 320 blow smoke in my eyes and I smoke exclusively out of doors. I hope your experience is similar. Oh, I have noticed the 320 accentuates sweetness even in blends I didn't find sweet previously.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great review!
I have to say I'm very interested in seeing the Briarworks table at the West Coast Show in November and seeing what new shapes and such they have. I'd also like them to make a bit bigger chamber, because bigger chambers are good for aromatics and while I'm getting big into VaPers I still love my aros.
My volcano has a chamber diameter of .68 inches, but I'm using it for Va and VaPer flakes, so with the taper of the bowl Briarworks does it works really well for what I'm using it for.
I popped the stem off my volcano last night after seeing that notch drilled out of the mortise in yours and my volcano doesn't have it. The volcano is also more of a gradual swooping bend, so I think those that mentioned it's to help drill the draft hole are probably correct.
I hope you have many enjoyable smokes out of that beautiful bent egg.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Those two pictures of the flaws have me scratching my head. Were they disclosed before you purchased the pipe?

Mar 1, 2014
I ran the Egg through it's paces this morning.

The stem passes a cleaner very well, some pipes have a hard time passing a cleaner through the button (especially the thin Churchwarden slots) but this is smooth sailing.

It is a fantastic clencher, if I'm ever in a situation where I want a bowl hands free it will be a hard choice between this and a Jawhanger. It should be perfect to have a nice light bowl while on the go.
Bigpond,

I think it's safe to say that any Nording Churchwarden will be a fantastic smoker, they just tend to be small and even the big ones (as I discovered) taper rapidly to a normal sized bowl and need to be ground out.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=167638

This pipe would probably do well for that type of mod. It needs to be something wide at the top without deep rustications, the closer to a pot shape the better.

Of course it's completely up to chance whether or not you end up with something usable.

With this pipe in particular it has a thin waste halfway down the bowl so you still can't make the walls too straight.

Alternatively larger Nordings with a regular stem are more common, and my three Nordings can at least accept each other's stems so you could theoretically buy two pipes and put the Churchwarden stem on the bigger regular pipe, but at that point buying a custom made pipe would probably cost a similar amount and give much better results.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They are selling a Clabash now that seem to be quite a bit bigger. Nice review, thanks.

Mar 1, 2014
-Pete

Those two pictures of the flaws have me scratching my head. Were they disclosed before you purchased the pipe?
I think there's a few people around here that use the motto "never buy a pipe sight unseen".

Mar 1, 2014
I was actually looking at the Calabash yesterday, the bowl that fits in the top is only 1" deep and less than 3/4" wide.
It is entirely made of Briar though, which makes one wonder if it wouldn't immediately burst into flames smoking it without the top piece (after removing the rubber gasket of course).
In it's normal configuration that does look like it should be virtually immune to gurgle, of course the smaller bowl will help.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Smokershaven has them listed at 1.8 across the bowl with chamber at .61" wide and 1.1" deep. That does seem kind of small for a calabash, hadn't noticed that when looking them over as the pic makes it look rather substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.