PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
thanks philobeddoe - ceramic pipe came today.
And here's what she looks like:
FHGQG.jpg

5iMzP.jpg

WO8ni.jpg

It's a Geodewaagen, made in Holland.
The only thing giving me concern, is the cork tenon. Now the draft hole in the bottom of the chamber as you can see is pretty tiny, so I'm "hoping" that the cork doesn't go catching fire on me.

Aug 1, 2012
The cork won't start degrading until around 400°F so I wouldn't worry much. You might want to buy some cork grease from a music store to keep it from catching in the mortise and tearing. Replacing cork is time consuming and costly (ask a clarinet player how much). Take care of it and it should last you a couple lifetimes.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
With the flower artwork, I wold of guessed it was from Japan...Surprised it's from Holland!

Great Looking pipe, Is it a Meer or a Clay?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I thought the same thing about the design. I've seen a lot of japanese artwork that uses floral designs and more specifically, these colors.
There is some strange flavors coming through on the first bowl, I hope that it mellows out after a few more.
The stem looks like it might be lucite at first, but I'm pretty sure it isn't, it's too light and doesn't feel like lucite.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
During the Edo period of Japan, the Dutch 'gaijin' were allowed access to the port at Nagasaki. European artists were exposed to, and heavily influenced by the Japanese style of art; but rather than completely emulating the style (as was done with Chinese art-forms); they adapted it into typicaly Western pieces and coined the term Japonism. Some of the best examples are French advertising from the mid - late 1800's, where you have characters who wouldn't look out of place in an anime donning a tux and pushing Perrier.
Zanthal, my first thought when I saw the stem was bakelite; which would likely place it around 1930 - 1940. The mouth feel of the plastic in my mind is closer to nylon than lucite or vulcanite, and the one example I have in my stable seems to hold up to clenching fairly well.

The easiest test for bakelite is to immerse the stem in warm water for a couple of minutes, then give it a sniff. If it has a slightly carbolic aroma, you're dealing with the protoplastic.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice pipe! It looks old, but the cork is pristine so maybe it's new? How does ceramic compare with briar btw? I've wondered why ceramic isn't more popular, other than being delicate.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
tremendously valuable input here, thanks very much :puffpipe:
Actually, it being that old makes sense to me, schmitzbitz. It had some dirt build up on the draft hole that didn't look like tobacco residue ... it has probably been sitting around for a long while. The chamber has some stains in it, but if it's been smoked before, it was cleaned up very well.
philabeddoe, where did you come across this? please forgive me if you have already mentioned it previously.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I actually replaced the cork on an estate Goedewaagon a few days ago, just cut a wine cork to size and sanded it till it fit snugly, it did take a bit of time, but it wasn't that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.