I Won a Barling For Under $20 - What's Wrong With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Last night I was flipping through ebay and saw this barling pipe http://www.ebay.com/itm/253178791764
It had 5 minutes to go, 4 bids, and was sitting at 14 and change. I see you guys posting about barling pipes so I put in a small bid - I won. So I am wondering if you can see something wrong that I could not. Is this an undesirable shape or year? I think I saw something about pre transitional or post operative or something like that in other posts.
I would love to find out more about this pipe while I wait for it to come in. It looks like it needs some work on the stem but the briar looks pretty good.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The "P" preceding the lot number means that the briar was grown in soil contaminated by plutonium from hydrogen bomb tests in the 1960's.
Except for your lungs turning green and emerging from your nostrils like octopus tentacles during the first smoke, you have nothing to worry about.
Enjoy! :lol:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I have been trying to post images since the initial one with no luck. I thought it looked nice - I like apples. The stem looks pretty beefy, is that a barling thing?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A later post-family era pipe. The most important thing for you is...how it smokes. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This one? Too bad the photo is underexposed, and out of focus, but you get the idea of the shape at least.
s-l1600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
8O

I was going to say the Barling Cross on the stem was a good sign, but now, I'm not sure. Shit, George! :(
Indeed.
Messing with plutonium-grown briar is no joke.
8O
c7027c_4517f947727941efadd3fd461a7c6678-mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.jp.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's nothing wrong with it. I have a couple of these and both are fine smokers. These were made after the family left the business, which makes them less collectible to hardcore Barling devotees. The "B Barling & Sons" pipes were a line of seconds, with the occasional fill and less figured wood. Also, they weren't made from the old growth Algerian Briar that distinguished Barling's product. The listing says "Made In England" though I failed to see a COM stamp, and it's quite possible that the pipe was actually made by Nording. If of English manufacture, it could have been made by Oppenheimer or Charatan, who made Barling pipes for Imperial after the Barling factories were closed down. I've found these to be well drilled and a good value for the buck. Paying less than $20 for one of these is a pretty good score.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At that price for what looks like a well made little pipe, I'd say you did just fine. It could need repairs and cleaning, but so what? I think the clean-up will do it.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
So what appeared to be an optical illusion, a trick of the light, isn't really. I need to figure out a way (an easier way) to post a pic but bear with me.
So it looks like an apple right? Well the stem is oval shaped and slightly listing to the right. The front of the bowl is mostly apple; but the back of the bowl sorta starts like a belge at the bottom and kind ends like a bulldog at the top. It is like all of your favorite pipes rolled into one. I can't tell the inner bowl shape because of the cake - it might be conical. Does this sound too good too be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.