I will NEVER complain about the pricee of a pipe again!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Namiki-Maki-E-Rakucho-Limited-Edition-Tobacco-Pipe-Kyusai-Yoshida-/222180802303?hash=item33bb01feff:g:kt0AAOSwgY9Xf~rB
Just speechless!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
$81,900,000
(Yes, it's a painting. No, I'm not kidding.)
imgres.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
A Lacquered pipe, It will never breath how could anyone even smoke it! Well I would just have to sand it down to bare wood if I ever got it. The nerve of those artists.

Jan 8, 2013
Every time I see one of those, I just don't get it. Regardless of the paint, at that price you have to imagine it's probably a fantastic piece of briar... but then how can you tell? It's all painted up. It could be a crappy piece of briar chock full of fills for all you know. But if someone spends that much on a pipe like that, who's going to be brave enough to sand off the paint and ruin the value of it? Is it really a Dunhill under all that paint? Or is it just an overpriced Dr. Grabow? :mrgreen:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
$81,900,000
(Yes, it's a painting. No, I'm not kidding.)
Well, since you found my paint samples, could you please suggest which color I use to paint the rest of the room?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anthony according to Duane ALL Dunhills are overpriced Grabows. I saw you reference and put that name to that phrase.
They cost so much because when the machine that makes the stem spades malfunctions and starts spitting out white dots, it's very expensive to fix.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is like the $8K sports jacket or the three million dollar car. Once you get into the wealth pocket, it's mostly about the ability to spend the money that others can't imagine spending than it is about having a pipe to smoke, or even an original artisan pipe to smoke. I'm not sure how special this pipe is. The Japanese master who made this for Dunhill may have spent several years layering on lacquer to complete the finish. The photos don't illustrate any extraordinary quality, but maybe an hour with an entranced expert would instill the beginnings of belief. Gotta keep those feet on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.