I Went To Buy A Car Yesterday. You Guessed It......

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So yesterday, I decided to take a car out for a test drive. I’ve been in the market for this particular car for about a year, done all my research, etc. The sales guy is very friendly, really knows the car well, no pressure, it was very pleasant. We went for a nice long and thorough test ride. This guy knew the car would speak for it self so we were able to go on fun twisties and get a little speed going. Afterwards, I was ready ready to deal. I tell guy I want to be 100% straight with him, honest with him and not waste my time. He said he does business the same way. I told him 4 things: 1) Told him I was ready to buy but not in a hurry, I was an educated buyer and would only buy a vehicle if I were to get a great deal. 2) Told him that I would be putting down more than 50% cash of the sticker price of this particular car. It’s a 2012 high end German sports coupe with the top Trim Line. 3) Told him that I would need to finance some of it, but would have it paid off in about 12-18 months, told him my exact income, I am an Executive in the High Tech industry. 4) Told him my exact credit score. Of course he will do a check but I wanted him to know I was a serious buyer and was solid.
Then he says, “great, let me go speak to my manager”, and I immediately say, “oh no, not this bull crap”. My fiancé and I wait for about an hour and he comes back with the CarFax and “the deal”. Essentially the document is a “list price deal” and he has given me 2 financing options of 36 and 48 months financing 100% of the vehicle. That's it! Didn't take into account my down payment, nothing special.
I was VERY tempted to light this guy up but instead I was very professional, calm but measured. I said “I am very disappointed you have wasted our time, not to mention yours. I was very clear that I was looking for a deal. This is list price. What took an hour of time to come back with these financing options? I could have done that in 10 seconds with an Android App. You know as well as I do that I am not paying list prices. You have wasted my time and lost my trust.” And I got up to walk away and he said, “will you give me another chance?”, and I said no and left.
When I got home I checked on AutoTrader outside of my area and indeed, this car is going from $2-$4,000 less than their list price. I am so mad at this guy. I may end up having to get this car shipped to me but what the heck, I’m not buy from this guy.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
+1 Mike. I go 1 step further myself and don't buy things I don't have cash for. Sorry your experience didn't go as planned. Sounded like a good day before that.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
In any industry, service, sales or anything else, when people who want my business don't listen carefully to what I say, they don't get my business. I feel your frustration.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I just went through a similar mess. Needless to say we did the same as you and walked out.

We gave the salesman our terms and he continually threw us the hard sale.

Eventually, the "manager" arrived to tell us that we were getting a grrreat deal and this vehicle would sell in a matter of days. We gave him our terms again and he told us that it was "impossible" and he could only offer his stunning deal today and today only. If we didn't grab it now we were going to lose this vehicle.

Long story longer the dealership has called us every three days wanting to know if we are still interested in the vehicle.

Apparently, they have been saving it just for us :roll:

I think you did the right thing and out of principle I wouldn't give my business to them even if they came to your terms.

Good on ya' mate.

Jim

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I don't know why you expected a car salesman to shoot straight with you. I think maybe you're not as educated a buyer as you believe
What you should've done is decided what deal you wanted, typed it up, printed it out and handed it to the salesthief when you spoke with him and allowed him one shot to either accept it, or come up with a counter-offer you could both live with.
Also, you should go to your bank and arrange financing before visiting any car dealer so all you need to do is make a call to your bank and write a check for the car, don't ever, ever allow a car dealership to arrange financing for you.
this.. do your home. decide your top dollar and go in with an offer $500 below so you have a little wiggly room. have your financing in place, credit union best bet. don't be afraid to walk.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Really interesting story and I can certainly understand your frustration
However, being in retail myself i can understand this from the other side
The salesmans job is to extract the maximum amount of cash from the client without pushing them out the door to another dealer
I face this every single day
In your case making you wait an hour is the height of ridiculousness and being upset at the enormous waste of your valuable time is inexcusable
IMHO your credit score etc probably is not an issue in buying a car-financing of some sort or another is available
It doesn't matter if it is a car tv stereo or boat. It is the time honored art of negotiating price vs the desire you have in owning the product
Good luck
Allan

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
At least until the financial crisis (c. 2008), most car dealerships made their money on the financing, not the sale price of the car. The extra-low sale price is just a vehicle, as it were, for the financing game.
In other words, don't tell the dealer you're paying cash (or 50% down) until you get a price. Tell them you're paying cash and they usually have to charge more just to keep from losing money (assuming their price with financing is already at or below cost).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Zono - I am sorry you had to endure that.
I've had a few run-ins with jackass car salesmen. Years ago I wanted to buy a Honda CRV. I went in to my local dealership and waited for a salesman - who at the time, was putting intense pressure on an old couple to buy a car he had in stock rather than wait for the one they wanted. I watched him treat this couple like sh*t and was sorry to see that they relented and bought a car they didn't want.
Then came our turn with this sleazeball. I had done my homework, knew how much the invoice price was and said simply that I would buy the car today if he would sell it to me at $500 over cost—which I knew was a totally fair offer. He rudely exclaimed "no way - never gonna happen."
I walked out, got home, made one call to another dealer and made the exact same offer over the phone. Told them I'd come down this minute if he would sell it to me at my price. The guy said "absolutely" and we made a deal that very same day.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I agree that my big mistake was to not have my financing buttoned up before I went into the dealership. I don't begrudge anyone from trying to make max profit but I did expect to be treated with respect because that how I treat other people. My last 3 car purchases went without flaw being a straight shooter. I dont care if its a car deal or any other kind a deal, respect is non negotiable. Lesson learned.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ok

After reading the last few posts about financing (I've forgotten because I mainly lease) I realize that my end of retail is not car sales
I am a small retailer and not involved in predatory practices as mentioned-just like the tobacconists who advertise here

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Zonomo, I would never have waited an hour. I like to be a straight shooter myself so I tell the salesman as soon as we sit down to haggle that they have 20 minutes until I walk out the door. If I do leave I won't step back into the dealership unless we agree on a price over the phone/email. I would also say +1 to all the comments about keeping the your financing plans quiet until a price is finalized.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I would've just looked at buddy, gave him the thumbs up sign and said way to NOT sell a car to a guy ready to buy jackass and walked out the door to another dealer of said German sports coupes. No sense getting upset by the feeble minded. Just move on.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I actually dont think the car salesman is at fault. He's just doing what he's told. I'm not going to take this out on the salesman other than not buying this expensive vehicle from him. If anyone is to blame, its the bad business practices and also me for not having my finances lined up. Upward and onward.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I actually dont think the car salesman is at fault. He's just doing what he's told.
This is partially true, but there was no reason for him to ignore what you told him and to make you wait an hour for nothing.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah, the hour wait is the kicker. What were they doing? If they're selling BMW's or whatever, they won't stay in business long treating people like that. My wife would have left, lol. Her late grandmother wouldn't wait half an hour for a doctor, so she gets it honest.

Jul 15, 2011
Buying a car, much like real estate, is a complete and total cut throat industry amongst those who do it well for a living, but sometimes, the way that people treat potential clients is nothing short of an ass kicking. Buying a car is a lot like pulling teeth, the actual experience is so horrifically unpleasant but once you find a decent offer, you feel much better once the whole thing is all over with. Good for you for standing up to that ass clown, and also for not giving him another chance. If it were me, I would have gone nut job on his monkey ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.