PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Here's the situation and a question all in one.
I work in a dusty factory and I drive lift truck for one of the production lines. Sometimes when the line is down or running slow I can sneak out for a few puffs on my pipe. Sometimes I'm out there for 15min when they go down. When I come back in I put my pipe in the pocket of my jacket which is rolled up behind the seat of my truck. My question is this, would putting my pipe away in the manner described damage it in any way? I can't really store it out in the open due to all the clay, limestone, and silica dust. Not to mention all the scent and other odors that could get into the bowl.

I'm ordering a pipe pouch from 4noggins tomorrow, and I question this b/c my pipe will be kept in the pouch sitting in the side console rest on the truck, rather than my jacket pocket behind my seat and I'm worried it might damage it kepping it closed in with the heat from the embers in the bowl.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I was thinking of the cork idea and it would be a perfect fit. I didn't want to mention that in the first post so it didnt draaag on lol.

I only drive my truck indoors and the floors aren't rough in any means (wich is nice on the back!). Also the trucks have cushion tires rather than pneumatic tires so they ride with less 'bounce'. If I'm going in and out of trailers it's a little bumpy but never has anything fallen out of the console. It's about 5" D x 7" L x 5" W. I have a Dasani water bottle in the cup holder all the time and it's never fallen out so I figure the pouch might stay put. I can put a small bungee cord across the console and it will prevent anything from falling out. I've done that before when I had to carry the scanner gun around with me.
I don't much care for the cob pipes or the taste they give the tobacco. I also dislike the dry feeling and taste I get in my mouth and throat from smoking them. To each their own I always say.. I prefer briar pipes. I have a couple Brigham 1DOT's I smoke at work that I don't worry about.

I do worry some of the weirdos I work with would try to steal the pouch (mainly the temps :roll: ) but most of the people I work with are cool and the few idiots there know better than to piss me off or mess with my stuff.

I will see wha' happens I guess. Thanks for the 'kick in the pants' about getting a cork plug going :) lol

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
My worry, with corking it and coming back later, would be moisture. I love that a pipe is much easier to smoke incrementally, but have noticed that burning a bowl across three or four sessions, the moisture can collect in the bottom of the bowl. I would only imagine that would be worse if the pipe chamber is corked and the pipe itself is covered. If it were me, I would make sure to drop a cleaner through it when you finish a session, and before you start the next.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I do get a little bit of excess moisture buildup but it's solved by running a pipe cleaner down the stem. After everybowl I take a paper towel and 'ream' the bowl and remove the stem and blow out any excess moisture. I find my Trypis pipes collect alot of moisture due to the fact there little to no cake built up yet.
@samcoffeeman I work at a cat litter factory and it's dusty as all hell. When you walk in the front doors and you can taste the dust, you know its a dirty place lol. Where do you work?
I like to keep my pipes clean and free of any dust, smells or any other crap that might float around the air in that place. It's nice when I go out for a puff cause I can take my dust mask off (which I have to wear all day every day or I get bad chest/sinus infections)

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
First let me say, I am glad that we still have people in the country who are willing to do blue collar work for a living. It seems that our country is getting away from the work ethic that made us a world power in such a short period of time. We all need products that require good old fashion sweat to make. (I will end this now because my intent is not to hijack this thread.)
Second, I think a cork and tobacco pouch will work really well. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
Third, I work at an elementary school so there is no way that I can use any tobacco on or around the campus. I am not even allowed to let anybody know that I smoke a pipe. I am so jealous that you can find a time to enjoy a few puffs.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Third, I work at an elementary school so there is no way that I can use any tobacco on or around the campus. I am not even allowed to let anybody know that I smoke a pipe. I am so jealous that you can find a time to enjoy a few puffs.
What about going for a drive on a coffee break? But then I suppose coming back smelling of pipe tobacco they would frown upon that.
I am lucky I guess. It was nice friday night the line was down for an hour. I put my skids away, consolidated a couple rows together to make more room for the rest of the night, then I sat on the steps outside the door where my line is, smoked my pipe and read the latest issue of Ontario Out of Doors magazine :) I must add however, our breaks are only 15min long and we only get two for the entire 8hr shift. We get paid for the full 8 which is nice but it sucks for a pipe or cigar smoker (there's 2 cigar smokers) cause we never have time to enjoy a nice relaxing puff. I get about 5min to smoke my pipe after I wolf down a light dinner.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think the beater pipe is the way to go here. If you don't care for cobs, you can still find a decent estate or inexpensive pipe that you wont have to worry too much about. One thing I started doing when I know my time is limited is smoke from an inexpensive Meerschaum with a small bowl. Sometimes I'll even only fill it up 1/2 and its worked out perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.