PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Anybody else cut their pipe cleaners now and then for whatever reason? I find myself doing it to get a fresh end on my cleaner if I use it to get a gurgle out, or to cut one in half that has two dirty ends. Am I alone?
I looked around a bit on the web and found nothing, but what about a tamper tool with a built in wire cutter. Surely I'm not the first to have this cross my mind. My vision was something of a normal looking tamper, but with a small hole in the side of it. Insert pipe cleaner in hole to desired spot and bush down tamper on a firm surface or between thumb and forefinger and it cuts the pipe cleaner. Kinda like a tiny guillotine blade inside the pipe cleaner.
If they existed, would you buy one for under $20.00?

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I have done that monty. I just use a little multi-tool, it seems to do the trick but your idea does sound like a winner.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I worked in a B&M we had a customer who would always buy churchwarden pipe cleaners and clip them as needed. I have not done this but if a tool was handy, it is a good idea.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I tend to cut my pipe cleaners in half, otherwise I'd be wasting the entire clean section in the middle. I clean my pippes after every second bowl to avoid mid smoke clogging.
As for you tool, a regular pipe tool goes foor about $4.00, so if you're asking if I'd pay $16.00 more just to cut my cleaners, I don't think so.
On the other hand, if the cutting feature came included with an extremely tempting pipe tool, I supose I would be happy to have the added benefit.
As for now, a pipe tool is exactly that, a $4.00 tool.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I wouldn't advise using a cigar cutter to snip a pipe cleaner. You're going to damage a blade that needs to remain as sharp as possible.
I have some churchwarden cleaners. Haven't been smoking my wardens recently and started snipping the pipe cleaners in half and using them on my smaller pipes. A scissor is more than sufficient.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Ummm I think I'm too profligate with my pipe cleaners! I use about 6 a day to clean after smokes and swab out any gurgles. Never even thought about cutting them in half. Tool sounds like a great idea though if - as the Warden says - it's in a tool I'd want/need and the price was right.
Andy

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I send them to the dry cleaner...
Seriously though, Monty's idea sounds really good
I'm not an environmentalist, but I do feel wasting for no good reason just isn't smart. 3/4 of my pipe cleaner is thrown away when I'm on and about and when I'm home, well, I just don't think about it
I think that I'd buy that tool if it existed

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I do on occasion. At times I simply hate the idea of tossing out what is a perfectly good/usable pipe cleaner just because the end is dirty. I have a fingernail clipper where I usually smoke and it does the trick.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
No, you're not alone. I don't like sending a dirty pipe cleaner end into the bit. But I don't necessarily want to get a fresh pipe cleaner if I just flipped it to tend a gurgle a couple times. So I'll snip that end off a little down to clean pipe cleaner.
But I'm against buying extra specialty tools. I'd have to have Batman's utility belt if I got all the tinker toys I wanted. A friend on here sent me some tampers, and I do try to carry those. But even then, if I have tobaccco, pipe and matches... I'm already doing pretty good for myself. Buying a special tamper? For me, probably no. I try to make do with what's on hand. In the office, a scissors. In the truck, my multitool.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I cut mine in half and use them as filters for my cobs. I just use wire cutters for them and cut up about 50 at a time and keep them with my pipe stuff. When I need more I cut more. I have never thought about cutting them to use for cleaning, but I might give that a try.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:idea: How about a pipe cleaning tool constructed along the lines of a gun barrel patch holder -- just smaller.
Hmm... maybe this post belongs in the What Are You Smoking thread. :lol:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I use the entire cleaner for the smoke. I use the ends for the "gurgles", and then when I'm done with the bowl, I bend it in half and dip the unused portion in Everclear and do a shank scrub. I then wipe out the bowl with the still wet and somewhat dirty cleaner. I then follow with a second pipe cleaner and repeat the process. I do this every time I smoke a bowl.
Pipe cleaners are pretty inexpensive so I don't mind using them often to keep the pipes sweet. If I was worried about my having to spend money on extra pipe cleaners, then I'd never pull the trigger on buying more tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.