PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
OK, I'm a serious lover of whatever we call English, Balkan, latakia-based tobaccos. Favorites include GLP's Odyssey, Quiet Nights, really anything Pease, Russ' Larry's Blend, Dan Tobacco's Old Ironsides, Esoterica's Margate, And so to Bed and, Penzance, SPC's Plum Pudding.
The thing is I live in Colorado, where English, Balkan, latakia based tobaccos work all year long, but I vacation in the Carolinas for golf and reading. In June, Englishes, etc., burn hot because, well, it's hot. (Last summer was first case of tongue bite since I learned how to smoke a pipe in the early 90s.) Ergo for this year's golf-a-palooza, I am wondering if switching up to Virginias will help? And if so, which ones?
What worries me is that Virginias tend to have a higher Vitamin N level, which can be a little much for me. For instance, Black House tastes great, but goes straight to my head. (I would like to avoid this.) Pirate Kake, maybe that's too much of a good thing (latakia), but that makes my world spin. Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend is quite nice, but can be a little much nicotine-wise.
Will Virginias burn cooler in hotter climates like Myrtle Beach in June? If so, what should I be trying, which will not make my world spin?

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I'll follow this thread with interest. I have never heard that hot weather causes tobacco to burn hotter.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I go for two-plus weeks to Myrtle Beach to play golf — and visit the actual smoking pipes store, an added bonus. I had different pipes, different Englishes on my patio overlooking the golf course — nice view, and it was, for me, a hot smoke. In Colorado, where I live, never happens. Never happens in San Francisco, where I grew up, and frequently visit family.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginias don't burn cooler, but you should really try them. They are good hot weather tobaccos with a more delicate flavour profile than Latakia blends. Smoke Virginias slowly and you will enjoy them. I would suggest Rattray's Hal O The Wynd, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and Hamborger Veermaster.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I originally thought I wouldn't like smoking english/balkan blends in the summer months mostly because they seem to be cold weather smokes. But, I like smoking them year round.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I do not do well with high nicotine blends and smoke the hell out of Virginias. I wouldn't worry about it. Stick to light Virginias and I don't think you will have any problem. You could certainly smoke ones such as Capstan Yellow without worry. Only Royal Yacht jumps out at me as being particularly high in vitamin N, although I can smoke Black House without worry so you may be more sensitive to it than I am. Also, if I am not mistaken, the acidity level of Virginias makes for less Nic absorption.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
@Daimyo I didn't put it in my original post, but Royal Yacht has kicked the heck out of me. I know that's a blend which some really like and others really don't. That's why there are seemingly millions of blends out there. To each their own.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is another light VA with a nice flavor profile and very economical.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
Man I have not learned these nuisances of pipe tobacco! Wow! 8O

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I'll also add Fribourg & Treyer Vintage Flake to the list. This stuff is divine. Incredible tin note, not too heavy in the nicotine department, pretty much perfect moisture content directly from the tin and just a fantastic nuanced flavor profile. It's also currently in stock which is a rarity in itself.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
The conventional wisdom is that latakia burns cooler, maybe one of our members can confirm that. As far as low nicotine Virginias I will give you my standard answer: McClelland. Some folks won't smoke McClelland just because the nic hit is too low. I think they make some of the best VA's in the business. Try any of their Matured Virginia series (#22,24,25, or 27) and try to get a tin with some age on it since they only get better with time.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Living in the south I can attest to my taste changing with the weather. I would suggest Golden Sliced by Orlik, or Peter Stokkebye luxury twist, Escudo, Dunhill luxury rolls, or Dunhill elizabethan mixture,

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
In my experience, straight Virginias/ Virginia forward blends burn HOTTER than English/Balkans, because the VA has a high sugar content. I think that English/Balkans just taste good in cold weather, and the lighter profile of a straight VA tastes good on a warm summer night. Kinda like a porter in winter and a hefeweissen in summer. As far as recommendations for lighter fare, F&T Cut Virginia Plug should be near the top of your list.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McClelland ... I think they make some of the best VA's in the business.
Bingo!
Besides the Matured Virginia series recommended I would also add Blackwoods Flake, Christmas Cheer

and, if you like some Perique, St. James Woods.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Agreed. I don't think English's burn hotter in the summer months, but heavy flavor profiles can be a little overbearing in the heat. I would suggest Dunhill Flake as a good place to start. I'll also throw in Rotary Navy Cut, and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake- for a little variety.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd suggest Sam Gawaith's Full Virginia Flake. That's the one that got me turned on to Virginias. Dunhill Flake is another great Virginia blend. I'd also recommend giving Mac Baren's Modern Virginia a go. It does have a very light casing of fruit, but in the tin of it I had it only came through in the room note. The taste is still that of a high quality Virginia.
As far as VaPers go I'd highly recommend Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. I mostly only have aromatics, but that one got me into a VaPer kick. It's a nice sweet Virginia with a good amount of Perique. It's not too heavy on the nicotine. I also enjoyed Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake a lot.

I don't think that lats burn hotter down here. I'm in 100F+ most of the summer, and I think that its just the acids of the Virginia compliment the acidic foods of hot weather; lemon aid, iced sweet tea, fresh tomatoes, even the barbeque down here is more acidic, peppers, etc... An ice cold Mountain Dew with a pipe full of Astleys 109 or Blackjack with a trickle of sweat running down my forehead. Virginias just wreak of barefeet, straw hats, banjos, and chicks in bikini tops. Ah yes, the Deep South. The subtle aromas compliment the hay basting in the hot sun, cotton and peach blooms, and sun ripening fruits. Smoke wafting out a car window on red dirt roads, hills, and that heavenly secret shady spot in a holler, where you can kick back and catch a few catfish.
Spicy Latakia is industrial fires, tire plants, Chicago Blues, cold nights, bon fires, and spiced cookies. Burning leaves, snow shovels, soot stained buildings, smoke stacks, trains, coal fires, and automotive plants. Latakia is imported, exotic, imports, cargo boats, fog horns, loading docks, ships, ice fishing, and cutting down trees.
Just a few things that ran through my mind :puffy:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I tend to smoke "harsher" blends. I like the stuff that makes me spin haha. I smoke some PS bullseye flake and never really had any issues with the "spins" on it. Its pretty mellow in my book.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The Virginians have been covered, so I'll take a little different tack. I would also suggest that you try some of the lighter English/LAT/Balkan blends. Bob's Chocolate Flake and Squadron Leader come to mind. Maybe something Perique forward like Fillmore. The you might also look at some burley blends. My newest favorite burley is one Russ Oullette blended for cobs called Missouri Pride. And if you're going to be in the South, get some cobs.
From Tobacco Review:
Missouri Pride is the kind of blend that most pipe enthusiasts would associate with the Missouri Meerschaum corn cob experience. This is a blend of superb quality Burleys with some Virginias added, and minimal top flavoring. The blend is made up of broken flake, with some ribbon-cut Burley, for a nice, even burn, and the flake processing adds a deeper flavor to the tobacco. For a smooth blend with real tobacco flavor you can enjoy all day long, try a pouch of Missouri Pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.