PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Haven't many of us used the phrase "I usually don't smoke aros....". I myself have use it in the past but am now vowing to stop. I really do smoke aros. PS Luxury Flake would be an example. In addition, what an "aro" is not concretely defined.
The big reason I am stopping this phrase is because it really annoys me. Folks mainly use this phrase for the following reasons:
1. To give an aromatic blend a bad review, especially at tobaccoreviews.com.

2. To try convince their audience that they really have refined taste in tobacco but are smoking this or that aro because it's different.

3. To convince themselves they are not aro smokers when they really are. (closet aro smokers).
Now I would like to review GLP Odyssey: Ahem, I usually don't smoke Latakia but ................ :D

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Been smokin for quite a few years now and the always chapped my ^%$ when I see it at the start of a review. I love aro's, I love va's, I love english, I really love burley! The only thing I really hate is haunted bookshop. Now I do smoke more aro and burley then anything else, so I usually won't review a english. Mainly because I have 1 or 2 blends that I really like, and I don't think I versed enough to give a good review. But you are right it would be fun to write "Let me first say that I don't usually smoke english"

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
drwatson, Thanks for reminding me of Haunted Bookshop. I need to pick up some more next time I buy tobacco. This blend got a bad rap a few years ago on this site. The original poster gave it to someone else, who also didn't like. He then passed it off to me. I enjoy it. But I have a hard time liking anything with latakia.
Winton

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I'm too pretentious to smoke aro's.
I smoke Quing'ten exclusively just to post how pompous I am.
Since I never smoke aro's, let me voice my opinion on them.
Bla, bla, bla.
Smoke what you like, and enjoy what you are smoking.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Ok, so I've been guilty of using the phrase on more than one occasion. However, usually my saying that is right before I give an aro a good review, such as my fondness for Nording Labrador.
So I guess that makes me a closet aro smoker.
...although the regular aros guys might disown me because I really hated Molto Dolce :rofl:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
If you absolutely do not like "any hint" of Latakia or aromatic, then do not try my blend as it is a light English Aromatic. It is in a minority category of Aromatic Blends containing Latakia. It has true lover's and true hater's. You should read the reviews at Tobaccoreviews.com before deciding to try it. There are 25 reviews.

It is my "go-to" smoke (obviously). Craig Tarler of C&D and I worked on it for over two years. Still, to enjoy it you must not be turned-off by an aromatic blend containing a bit of Latakia. The ladies do not smell the latakia but you will taste it. Women do love the aroma. There is nothing shameful about any pipe tobacco blend if it pleases you and those around you. There is more about CBB in this Forum if you search for it. Craig told me that the fact is, "70% of all pipe tobacco sold is aromatic". Craig's quote: "There are lots of non-aromatic smoker's who do not realize that they are smoking an aromatic"! Really, it is just a matter of "degree". Aromatic topping makes tobacco more palatable. Just like all the flavors found in Vodka and Whiskey. etc.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend's has good aro's that actually dry out to the point of being crisp, which is a good indication of the lack of humidifying chemicals used, that's my only thing I have against some aro's, is the humidicant's used in some turn it into an unpleasant experience for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you want a great flake with just the lightest essence of lakeland, like you wouldn't even know it was there unless you're looking for it, try GH Best brown #2, it's amazing stuff. I don't know if a full on lakeland would be my thing, but it's a very very light taste in the background, and I really like it.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I'm so pretentious and spend so much money on my pipes, that I've stopped smoking tobacco in them. They are such great pipes with such sweet briar aroma, that I've been enjoying smoking cat turds. Plus, I don't have any money left over to buy anything.
cosmicfolklore, that made me laugh so hard I almost lost my coffee. :worship:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I don't like nor smoke aromatics and I don't care if someone thinks I'm pretentious, elitist, arrogant or pompous git for it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
To add my 2 cents, I am not a fan of flavored tobacco. Now, I will never say no to a high quality tobacco; aromatic, flavored, natural, what have you. But if I want cherries, chances are I'll go buy a bag of cherries. Also, I will never look down my nose at someone who like a different tobacco from me. Everyone has their own tastes, and no one but you can say what you do or do not like.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hmmm. . . This phrase doesn't bother me at all. But, then, I've used it myself when writing a review of a blend on TR.com that was outside my main experience as a pipe smoker. Rather than being some kind of posturing statement or a subtle dig at the genre, I've used it to let readers know of my lack of wide experience with aromatic blends. So they should take that into consideration when reading my review. It bears no relationship to whether or not I like the blend under discussion.
I also say something similar if I'm reviewing a Balkan blend. I'll say, "Balkans are one of my favorite styles of blends" so that readers know I have a fairly deep experience with Balkans and, as a result, I feel like my opinion might carry a bit more weight than someone who says, "This was my first Balkan." Both reviews are valid. But you know at the outset how to interpret each reviewer's impressions.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.