PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

probester

Lurker
Jul 18, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm sure that this has been asked before in many different ways, but I thought I'd relate my specific story and see if anyone here could help.
Over the past couple of summers, I gave pipe smoking a try. I bought a Dr. Grabow Omega and gave it a whirl. I bought all kinds of tobacco, in small quantities to try and every time, I seem to fail. I never can get any good taste out of it. I even switched to cigars back in December. I love the taste of cigars, so I know that I like tobacco. I just struggle to get any flavor (other than nasty burnt ash) out of a pipe.
I have tried Carter Hall, Lane 1Q, FM Cellar, Dunhill EMP, some sort of Hearth and Home Apple Pie, Prince Albert, etc. On and on.
Never have I gotten much flavor to get me hooked on a pipe. For some reason, I'll quit and always end up wanting to try again.
In my current state of mind, aromatic flavors appeal to me. Rum would be great. Vanilla, Cherry, and sweet dessert type flavors seem to be something I would absolutely love. I have, however, heard that aromatics don't produce that much flavor. I did, at one point, get a nice flavor (maybe a few puffs) from a bowl of FM Cellar. I have never smoked a whole bowl of tobacco as I can never get a tolerable enough flavor to get through one.
I have watched countless youtube videos on packing a pipe, lighting a pipe, etc. So I am sure this will take some time to master. I am willing to be patient, but I request your help.
I don't have the budget right now to spend $100 on a pipe, but I would like some suggestions on what kind of pipe to get and some high quality aromatic tobaccos to try.
Connoisseurs Choice sounded good, would you recommend this?
Should I get a briar and try to break it in (those shapes and the overall look of the briar pipe appeal to me most) or should I start with a cob or meerschaum so that I can really get a pleasant flavor and see what it is all about. So many questions, so many opinions. I really appreciate anything you guys could tell me to help me get started. I think its a hobby that I could really enjoy if I could just get the hang of it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Get a few corn cob pipes. Relax and breathe easy. It'll come to you. The best video I've seen on pipe smoking is one of the Dagner Videos on YouTube. It saved my piping career. I'll find the. Episode and link it. Get a corn cob pipe, did I mention that?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Practice, practice, practice. Fortunately, becoming a successful pipe smoker is easier than playing golf well. Using a cob to get the hang of things is a great idea. Cobs are durable and dependable. It doesn't really matter what blend you smoke since the point is to get a good pack and keep it lit.

There are scores of packing techniques so you'll have to experiment with what works for you. I've been using the method demonstrated in the following video from James Fox Tobacco for many years with great success.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+tobacco+pipe+filling+video&view=detail&mid=141516F30609D0B9D464141516F30609D0B9D464&FORM=VIRE
Just continue to try and let us know about your progress. Remember to have fun while doing it.

I don't think that there's is anything wrong with your pipe. Grabows are respectful pipes. Two ways to do this. One, you can keep bouncing between this and that blends. Or, you can buy a good bit of any blend, and just smoke it till you start to associate a flavor with it.

Keep in mind, just making smoke is not the objective. Most newbies and oldies forget this. Just blowing puffs into the air does nothing at all. You want to savor the smoke, hold it in your mouth, swirl it around, let your tongue move, you have taste buds on the underside of your tongue also. Blow the smoke out your nose, slowly, savor, savor, savor. The point is to take as long as possible sipping your pipe and savoring the flavor.
The tobacco doesn't even matter at this point. Until, you get the slowing down and savoring part down, you could be smoking rope tobaccos and not taste it.
Take your time. Smoke whatever tobacco is handy. go slow. enjoy. relax...

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's hard to say what's going on, and why it's not coming around for you. I first started smoking a pipe when I was 20 and it didn't really catch on for me. I started again in my 30's and it was up and down, but better than the first go around. I don't have any real words of advice, but be patient and it may come around for you. A few years, a few breaks, a few good bowls, a fair share of bad bowls, and thousands and thousands of dollars later; it clicked for me, well enough for it to stick that is. :puffy:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Cosmic is right on, I'm new to this but when I bought my first few different tobaccos I remember thinking I can't taste anything, I was a bit frustrating by my third tobacco purchase. "Sipping" and letting the smoke exhale through the nose changed everything for me, the technique is called something but I can't remember. I found Sutliff spiced rum to have a lot of flavor, if your looking for just something to taste. But make sure to dry it out first, it comes very wet.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Grabow Omega is fine, anyone mention to get a cob too? Get a cob, get two. Dry tobacco smokes easier, loosely packed tobacco smokes easier, slowly smoked tobacco smokes easier. Try some Virginia or Va/Per blends, Tobac Manil Semois, or some heavier C&D blends like Big and Burley etc. If you insist on an aromatic my recommendation is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.
""Sipping" and letting the smoke exhale through the nose changed everything for me, the technique is called something but I can't remember."
I call it clenching. Keep it in the corner and just breath like normal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something keeps drawing you in. If there's a pipe shop or club where you can go, the social psychology of sharing the activity may help. I'd buy a few blends in small quantities, a pouch or an ounce or two at a time. Save even what you don't like, since your tastes could change. Go slow. A bowl a week might be plenty for a while. I really wouldn't push it. Either it is pleasurable or it's not. Right now, it is of interest to you, and that's enough to prompt the occasional smoke.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If your leaning towards aromatics I'd suggest corn cob pipes to smoke them in. It has been my experience that all aromatics smoke best in cobs, especially OTC aros. My favorite cob for aromatics is the Missouri Pride which has a natural bowl. The aromatic where I get the most taste is a 50/50 mixture of Lane's 1Q & BCA. Good Luck on your journey and don't give up. Also, if you like cigars, try C&D's Billy Budd, IMO the best cigar pipe blend that's available.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Look up YouTube user smokeringspipedreams. He has an entire video series that is as informative as they are entertaining.

probester

Lurker
Jul 18, 2015
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna place an order in the next couple of days and pick up a cob and a couple tobaccos to try! Any more suggestions will be great on specific pipes and tobaccos to try!

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
I'm pretty new myself but I have smoked a few cigars in my time. I agree with many threads and find aromatics don't have much flavor. So I got some non-aros and they have more flavor like cigars. I find the Dunhill brand to smoke very easy right out of the tin.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Practice, patience, and dont give up. You WILL get there. If you can find a local meet up also, thats a great resource. I suggest videos from Muttnchop Piper myself, and Stuff and Things has a great series. Both good channels to sit and watch! It takes time to learn a pipe, and thats one of the things I love about it. ANyone can fire up a cigar and keep it lit. But a it takes a true gent with some talent to smoke a pipe!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"you have taste buds on the underside of your tongue also."
No you don't, your tastebuds are situated on the top and sides of the tongue, all 2000 - 8000 of them.
They exist in other parts of the mouth too but not under the tongue.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As an inexperienced piper I can understand why you think you're drawn to aromatics...BUT I think you should give some straight Virginias a try so you can get "real tobacco flavor" from your pipe.
I'd recommend some Mcclelland 5100.
If you'd like, shoot me a pm and I can send you some samples.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...oh, and you didn't fail. Your piping experience failed to please you. Remember, in this activity, you are the King, and you are never unsatisfactory, only the pipes and leaf aren't just right. I'm kidding, but that's the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.