PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sounds bad right? And this might upset Kaywoodie collectors, but I felt the need to DO SOMETHING! I don't care for painted pipes much at all, but the Coral White Kaywoodies seemed a little more interesting, and when I saw this one for under $10 I knew I wanted to mess it up a little. It wasn't in very good shape, and had a 3 hole stinger. I hate stingers, sorry but that's just the way I am, so I knew that this would be the perfect victim to have the stinger cut off. All I had to do was make the pipe something I would like to smoke and I would finally have a regular Kaywoodie that would pass a pipe cleaner, have an open draw, and I could enjoy smoking.
As you can see the pipe had the usual chips and damage to the white finish. Fairly nasty all in all. I got some biodegradable stripper and after four separate coats and scraping and wire brushing I got most of the white off. It's pretty tough stuff! Funny, the nomenclature was only stamped weakly into the white finish. There was no evidence whatsoever of it on the briar underneath after I did the first wipe off of the paint. Well at least it still has the clover stem logo. It took lots of soaking in alcohol and wire brushing to get it to the point where I needed to use a small Dremel diamond sanding point to remove the really stubborn little bits of white left in the wood. After another alcohol soak, and wire brushing it looked ready for some sanding, and staining. I went with Fiebing's Tan stain, and when I flamed it things got a little weird. The high parts on the briar darkened, while leaving the low spots lighter. This usually the opposite of what rusticated pipes look like. So I gave it another coat, flamed it again, and the high parts got even darker. Looked kind of interesting to me, so I did some light buffing with tripoli, and white diamond, and finally some wax.
I'm still a little on the fence about its looks, but it is certainly different! I think I'll leave it as is and give it a few smokes and think about it. But to be honest, I don't know what else I could do other than stain the whole thing dark brown.
_575-600x338.jpg

img_00026-600x334.jpg

img_00037-600x317.jpg

img_00103-600x282.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Looks good, Orley. A hell of a lot better than it was, and by that I mean when it came out of the factory! I am one of those guys who thinks painted pipes are an abomination, and stingers are only used to induce gurgle in an otherwise normal pipe. You have rescued an innocent piece of briar from the freak show some demented pervert pimped it into.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shame on you for turning an eyesore into such a gorgeous smoker! Shame on you sir!

:rofl:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like it! From an aesthetics point of view you definitely improved the pipe. I've never been fond of those coral finished pipes, especially after they've become chipped and yellow.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nicely done. I've always liked the coral finish but wasn't a fan of the white paint either. Good call on the stinger. I don't mind stingers on my Grabow's. They still work well and have a great draw, but I think the Kaywoodie stinger is too restrictive. No need to apologize for reconditioning your own pipe the way you see fit. If it's a pipe I plan on keeping, I finish it the way I want as well, unless it's something very rare and old. I think you nailed it with the new finish.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks guys, and aldrcaker, yeah, demented pervert is right. The white the rustication on the shank made me think of a bone spine.
chasingemers: yeah I am ashamed to be sure, but shame is part of my life... that's why I'll probably smoke some Black Frigate in it, ha!
dave g: after seeing some of your wonderful restorations this is kind of dubious. But like you say, if it's a pipe that I'm doing for myself, why not. I would never do this kind of resto to a rare pipe, well maybe a Dunhill. I've been known to do crazy stuff with them too.
For anybody that wants to try removing paint from a factory pipe, be prepared for a lot of work! This was fun but very time consuming, especially because it was a rusticated pipe. I'm sure the smooth pipes would be easier as you could sand most of it off.
I guess I just have too much time on my hands, and little money to spend on nice pipes, so it's hard to resist goofy projects like this. :crazy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasingemers: yeah I am ashamed to be sure, but shame is part of my life... that's why I'll probably smoke some Black Frigate in it, ha!

:rofl:

You did good work on that one, brother. Looks like a pipe that I would be proud to have in my collection after you got done with it, and one can never go wrong with Black Frigate! :wink:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've always liked the rustication on the KW White Coral pipes. I even like the white paint--when it is nice. The paint used on them is some tough stuff! This one looks much better now !!

Status
Not open for further replies.