PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The venerable Danish pipe maker Stanwell has moved production to Italy, and some

Forums members are waiting to see how those pipes will be, and looking for older

inventory if they are buying new pipes, or buying estate pipes, until the Italian produced

pipes are proven. Cup O Joes even has a separate category for Denmark made Stanwells.

Smokingpipes.com clearly states in its Stanwell introduction that they have moved to Italy,

but the individual pipes are still designated as being from Denmark. I wasn't sure which I'd

get. I have been angling to add a Stanwell to my rack for years, and have always liked the

silk brune line; it is the least expensive, but I prefer the matte finish that shows grain.

I've always thought they could charge more for it as easily as less -- very tasteful.

So I finally decided to get the pipe -- either way -- it was the first shape, a bulldog,

in silk brune that I really liked. The jury is still out, but I took delivery of the pipe and

out of the box I am fully impressed. This is a straight bulldog model 32. Fit and finish

look perfect, and of course it passes the pipe cleaner test like a breeze. The pipe is stamped

Danish Design, meaning it is made in Italy I presume. SP says this bulldog was originally designed

by Poul Stanwell himself, and that SP is responsible for its return to the U.S. So far, I am well

pleased. I will report again later after I have had a chance to break in the pipe, to let my

fellow Forums members know if it is safe to go back into the Stanwell new-pipe waters.

This one shows nice grain through its refined matte finish, and it has the look of a pipe

that was produced under a critical and demanding eye. Will report further, later.

Has anyone else taken the Italian Stanwell plunge?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Good luck mso. I look forward to your updates and will be following this thread closely.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I had one of the Nana Ivarson (sp) designs once, a bent acorn. Fit and finish was excellent and it smoked really good. The shape never grew on me so I traded it off.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
mso,
Stanwell moved production to Italy from Denmark about 3 years ago. All pipes since then have been manufactured there.

Every no and again I receive a pipe made in Denmark, but not often. It's obviously New Old Stock that filtered in with the new.
Not so sure about SP being responsible for the shape No. 32 being available in the US. Don't believe everything you read....... My daughter makes a very good living in Marketing.
Rich

4noggins.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4noggins, I know the Stanwell move isn't news, but there seem to be a lot of the Denmark made

pipes still in the new pipe market. Apparently SP is proud of its support of this shape, but whether

they were the sole proponent ... well, I get your drift. You have a fine example of the bulldog 32

shape on your site, but it's not the silk brune, though you have that in the 191. Anyone interested,

take a look!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on your Stanwell mso. I have a couple of Danish-made models and they are excellent - flawless smokers. Reports have been mixed, but I fully expect the Italian-made pipes to be top drawer pipes over the long haul.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I got in 3 Italy made Stanwells recently and they are good smokers, but take quite a long time to break in. The drilling is ok, but he mouthpiece fit is a little sloppy. The Danish fit was better. I have seen some adventurous mouthpiece bending on some models, which I did of course not buy.
Given the price, this ends my Stanwell aquisitions. They are ok, but there are same quality pipes at lower prices, or better ones at the same price point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First bowl in this Italian made Stanwell ... maybe it's this shape, but the pipe feels

broken in. Don't want to jump the gun. Let's see how it goes. But for a first bowl,

this was exceptionally good. (This is the straight bulldog #32).

Status
Not open for further replies.