Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I'm trying (not very hard) to stop buying pipes. But I found this one, and bought if for a resonable amount. I plan on replacing the stem with a yellowish acrylic, like the LVC pipe. I'd appreciate advice on where to send it for stem replacement. It is from the 1920's unused and seems to have the same mottled look of the LVC meerschaum. The shape is close, but this one has a silver band, still it looks to have a very close resemblance to the one(s) in the movie.
LeeVanCleefpipe_zps85be147d.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Beautiful pipe that does look a lot like the lee van cleef pipe. I don't usually go for bents, but I wouldn't mind that in my collection.
1920's unused
Even better. Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd leave that beauty just as she is. The black stem suits that yellow/golden bowl very nicely. And knowing it's all original and has some history to it - so much the better.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Dave got out of the pipe repair business recently. Mike Myers opened his own shop. Good lookin' meer -- coloring up nicely too.
Thanks Roth, I have used Mike Myers and will probably use him on this as well. I was wondering if there is a repair shop that specializes in Meers.

The color is original. This one is unsmoked. The color is why I though of the LVC pipe from the movie.
Even better. Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd leave that beauty just as she is. The black stem suits that yellow/golden bowl very nicely. And knowing it's all original and has some history to it - so much the better.
Good advice nubersix, I haven't received it yet, but the stem looks like it may not be a perfect fit.

Dec 24, 2012
That is a great looker and the bowl looks like a LVC pipe. I would get the yellow stem made up and just keep the black one in case you ever sell it.

Aug 14, 2012
I saw the film a few days ago. Yes it looks like it. I prefer the black stem and it might be easier on your teeth.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
A pipe that close in looks would have to have a yellow stem for me. I might hold out a day, week, month. Every time I smoked it I would think man how great would this be if it was yellow.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want a Van Cleef looking pipe then I would replace the stem. If you want it just for a smoker then stick with the black. Either way it is very nice looking, congrats.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I would buy the yellow stem, I like them anyway on most. & change it back to black whenever your wife thinks your an idiot because you didn't need either (according to her!). (only when she's in the room)

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
A pipe that close in looks would have to have a yellow stem for me. I might hold out a day, week, month. Every time I smoked it I would think man how great would this be if it was yellow.
Thanks Dervis, That's how I feel about it. I spoke with Mike Myers today and he is going to do the stem for me. I may have talked him to joining the forum while I was at it.
I would buy the yellow stem, I like them anyway on most. & change it back to black whenever your wife thinks your an idiot because you didn't need either (according to her!). (only when she's in the room)
My last wife threw me out about 18 years ago. I now live by myself, unless you count a dog. So I only have to justify the $30 to myself. And I have two other pipes I want stem repairs on so now is a good time.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
TopD, you are probably right about being African meerschaum. All I know is it was made in Germany. The seller has many finished and unfinished pipes from Germany on the bay, nearly all listed as unsmoked or unfinished.

Status
Not open for further replies.