PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I'm out of town for a conference and I'm headed back early in the morning. I decided to explore the town by trying to find different B&Ms since I had the afternoon open until I met up with some friends I haven't seen in awhile that live in the same town as the conference. Firstly, we need to figure out a way to differentiate between a head shop and a tobacco shop. I even started calling places and saying that I really want a tobacco pipe not something else that we call a tobacco pipe so we can buy and sell them. So after about 5 head shops and one very overpriced B&M, I find a place that is just about to close as I'm driving by. The guy was nice enough to let me in.
Now, I had a rule that I wasn't going to buy a pipe unless a. it was a semi-bent bulldog from a decent maker or b. it was a Peterson Kinsale with a p-lip. I don't know why I wanted one of those huge Peterson's but I do. I also really like the one p-lip I have and wanted to get another. Don't judge me. So, they had boxes of Petersons. Like 15-20 and a Savinelli half bent Bulldog. I knew I was getting a pipe. None of them had the price marked on them. They guy at the counter clearly wanted to go home. So, I asked him if I could quickly look through the Petersons, I was looking for something specific and if the price was right I would totally buy a pipe. I found 4 Peterson pipes that were close enough to what I was looking for. I packed all the boxes up, put them back neater than I could find them, and straightened the case nicer too. Hey, he was doing me a favor by staying open at this point, I could at least help him out by not being a slob.
Ok. 3 Peterson Arans, 1 Flame Grain, and a Savinelli on the counter. No price. He looks around for a little bit and then says, "Screw it. What are you thinking?" I put the flame grain and another Aran I really liked as a tie for first, an Aran XL and the bulldog as 2, and this other Peterson Aran as 3rd choice. He looks at them and says, "$85 for everything but that big one. That's $95." I tried to explain that they are different qualities and different lines. He said but they're the same size so they're the same price. I grabbed the flame grain because, well I liked it. No idea. Knew it had to be a little more than an Aran but I liked it. It wasn't until I got back to the hotel room and my computer and realized that these pipes retail at about $100 more than what I bought it for and you can find them online for $144.
Not quite sure how this guy is staying in business but next time I'm in town I'm picking up that Savinelli bulldog!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Great story, Quincy
Don't know where you were, but I think lots of us would try to make the trip and come just before closing time

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds like a great grab! You should buy a lottery ticket now while your luck is strong!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:clap: Stories like this make me really happy. Do you know if these pipes were "new old stock"? Makes me wonder what the mark-up is.

Anyways, congrats on a nice new pipe!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Wow, what a great story!
Excellent haul. Please post photos!
Does the shop have a website? I'll put in an order right now! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.