PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafmbro

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Hi sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never seen this happen before. Last year in the summer I bought a green/turquoise coloured peterson churchwarden pipe. I bought it because A) I wanted a churchwarden pipe for a smoother/cooler smoke (I detest tonguebite) and B)I liked the colour of the bowl. I am only an occasional smoker and always let my pipes cool down for a number of days after smoking a bowl or two. Since last year the colour has gradually changed form the lovely green colour to a strange looking brown. I have called the shop I bought it from explaining this, only to be told by the "manager" that this is normal and happens to all pipes. Am I being fobbed off here? It has never happened to any of my other pipes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
All pipes will change color somewhat as they're smoked. Lightly stained briar will turn a beautiful nut brown over time, due to the absorption of smoke/moisture from the bowl. For me, this is a sign of a well-loved pipe and something I actually cherish.
I think the fact that your green is changing color is only a good thing. If it were to remain the original color forever, to me that would be a sign that your pipe was varnished and sealed -- and therefore unable to breathe and absorb moisture.
Bob

nafmbro

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
thanks bob I was getting a bit worried about it after reading about faults with peterson pipes on the net. It does still smoke well so I'm assuming thats the case.
cheers

nick

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
The color never faded on my EWAs. Alot of tar does build up on the outside of the bowl. If petes correct I won't be buying a racing green. Thanks for the heads up.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Can confirm, have a racing green Peterson church warden, color is starting to fade.
I only smoke mine maybe once every two weeks though.
So if you smoke yours a lot you will notice a change much faster.

nafmbro

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
the lovely green colour was really the reason I chose it. There were other churchwardens on sale but I preferred the colour of the one I bought. If I knew it would lose its colour I would have probably gone for another one. I'm still happy with how it smokes like I said, it's much cooler and less sharp on the tongue than other pipes I've tried.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Mine is still VERY green, and I also chose it because of the color.
I think it's a beautiful piece.
I do not like the fact that the bowl's walls are very thin.
I really have never shopped for a pipe AND looked at the dimensions and understood exactly what I was purchasing; stupid, I know.
Now I have references of what I do and don't like, and will be looking for a heartier churchwarden in the future.
It does have a rather nice deep bowl though, smokes extremely well, and passes a churchwarden length pipe cleaner with ease.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the green and blue stained briars are intended to stay somewhat the color they are stained, though

any pipe will darken with time. If you have ever bought an unfinished pipe, which is quite light colored at

first, you will see what a honey-golden-brown it will become. But I don't think retaining the green or blue

stain is part of the deal with pipe quality. I'd go with the changing color. It shows you like smoking the pipe,

anyway. This may be why pipe smokers and makers tend toward dark or neutral colors, over all. I have

two green stained pipes, fairly new, so neither has shown any darkening.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
This topic hit the forums many times, it is not a defect. Staining briar a certain color does not guarantee it will remain a similar color in the future. A briar with no stain will turn a medium-brown color in time from its original color (light beige). A pipe that turns color faster most likely means a higher quality of briar as it has better absorption.

Status
Not open for further replies.