PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, I am confident that I have completed building my cellar! I have a great selection of tobaccos, many still untasted, and a healthy selection of the tobaccos I know I like. Along with pipe tobacco, I have managed to collected a decent stash of cuban cigars as well.
Does this mean I will no longer be purchasing tobacco, not even close. However, I will be trying to show more restraint. Only replenishing what is smoked, rather than trying to build a larger cellar.
Kind of a bitter sweet day as I truly enjoy my TAD, but the bank account needs to take priority for a while! I set a goal, and managed to hit it. Now the true test, can I control my future TAD urges?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
hahaha
I've been in your shoes before. Let me clue you in one what's going to happen...
Five years from now, the film crew from "Hoarders" will be at your place taping an episode because your "cellar" is taking over your house.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
@TAB, don't tell me that hahahaha.
I feel quitting TAD will be a ture test of will power. People think cigs and crack are addictive, have never had the TAD affliction haha.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I've made a goal for a cellar size of ten years. Of course no one knows how much time they have left. If I last longer I can always buy more, unfortunately at higher prices. If I die sooner or have to quit for health reasons, my son will get a nice aged stash!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am sorry to tell you this, but your cellar is not complete. I quote:
I have a great selection of tobaccos, many still untasted
This statement proves it is not complete. When you have an untasted blend in your cellar, then it can never be complete. The untasted blends could be all time favorites which you will want to by 10 pounds each of. A completed cellar means you have taken the time to test every blend in it and have determined how much you will need of that blend for the future. You have more work to do, let the testing begin and hopefully you will find some all time greats in those untested blends. Your TAD can be put on the back burner, but it can never be over completely, it is always there lurking, talking to you, cajoling you to buy more. Always it says, buy more, buy more, you can never have too much, it is impossible to have too much. :nana:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, I feel my cellar is complete! If out of the tobacco's I have not tried, I find my new favorite, I will have to smoke through some of the existing stash to make room for the new blend. I've done the math, and I have about 35 years worth of tobacco. Only someone with a serious problem could look at 35 years worth of tobaco and not feel satisfied. Also, I feel collecting more than 35 yeazrs of tobacco is getting closer to the point of hoarding. Obviously, everyone smokes different amounts of tobacco, what might last me 35 years might only last someone else 5 years.
Again, I don't plan to stop buying tobacco, but I do not need to grow my cellar any longer. Maybe 'completed' isn't the correct wording, but in my eyes, my cellar is complete.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
northernneil, I hope you realize I was just being facetious and playing around with you. I am sure with 35 years of tobacco I would also feel my cellar is complete.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I figure my cellar will be done when I finally accept the fact that I own more tobacco than I will be able to smoke in my lifetime. even then I'll still probably want to try some new things. I have about 2 years worth now... So that's about 38 more years to account for; good luck to you.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My cellar should soon be complete because I'm digging an underground tunnel across several state lines to get to Harris' stash of tobacco. I'd have been there already, but I took that left turn at Albuquerque and ran into a smart-alec wabbit.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Neil-
I don't think you'll find too many people that will allow a statement like "I'm done" to go unchecked :)
But good for you. U have a TAD coming in that will put me at 10 pounds - and I'm not done, but gotta slooooow down awhile.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for the kind words gentleman.
I guess I should divulge all the information hahaha. I just hit the 55 pound mark. I smoke 1 - 2 bowls a day, averaging around 10 per week.
I usually smoke smaller bowls, and was surprised to discover I do not consume much more than 2 ounces per month. I wish I could smoke more, because it would allow me to sample more of my "untasted" blends. Nonetheless, a small 3/4" x 1" bowl will last me commute to and from work, 45 minutes each way. And finding time after work for a bowl can be a challenge in it's self.
BTW, Jim, while your are tunneling to Harris', see if you can make it to Canada. I know we really profited during prohibition in the 30's, and I would love to return the favor... even though I don't need to build my cellar any more :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.