PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I thinks its funny that....
I hate straight pipes, but my best two best smokers are Dr.Grabow straight pipes. I also think it's funny that my Dr. Grabows smoke better than my $100.00 Peterson, and that my 3 dollar Missouri meerschaum smokes better than any of my other 9 pipes and they don't even come in a bent billard style that i like.
Now that is funny.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I think it's because smoking habit or style. I do have no name italy dublin pipe(basket pipe).

It does smoke almost like my bjarne or savinelli authograph. I was wondered too.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I would not smoke a straight pipe if it was the last pipe on Earth....

Jan 8, 2013
I started out with long bent pipes. Yesterday i recieved my latest, a short, stocky, straight pipe. Its now my favorite. Tastes change i suppose.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have an assortment of straights and bents. The only preference I have is that some bents don't allow a pipe cleaner to pass through to the bowl without removing the stem, and I need to do it during a smoke to absorb condensation from time to time. Ser Jacopo bents are an exception, they always let a pipe cleaner through. And all my Petersons are bents, they have the moisture trap, and the stems can be removed during a smoke. I blow out any moisture that accumulates at the tenon end. That said, many times that's where the moisture is, so even if a cleaner won't go all the way to the bowl in a bent, it usually goes far enough to stop any gurgle. The only thing I find about straight pipes is that the longer and/or heavier they are, they don't balance well if I clench them. So my large, heavy straight pipes I tend to mostly hold in my hand. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often wondered that too. Granted everything I own with the exception of one briar and a couple of clays are 100+ years old. It is the runt in my collection that smokes really well from 1894 and that is a bent pipe and is an absolute joy to smoke. Everything else is either a straight pipe or variation of a billiard and they seem to need so much more effort even though it is my personal preference.

cobsnob

Lurker
May 7, 2013
Have you posted pics of those 100+ year old pipes? I'm sure they would be something to see.

cobsnob

Lurker
May 7, 2013
Thank you condor. They look great. FYI, I couldn't find them using the forum search but a google search led me back to this site where I could view them. Quite a collection.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I prefer pipes with a slight bend (easier to pass a pipe cleaner through), and I'm somewhat of a 'clencher'. The bent stem seems to help in the balance, and less stress as it were. Other than that, I have both and I'll not turn my nose up at either as long as they smoke well.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've tried and tried to get along with straights, but I just can't do it unless it's quite small, like a group 2 to 3 ( dunhill sizing)
I clench and straights are just too hard on my teeth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Variety is my thing. Many straight and all degrees of bend. Best clenchers are

relatively small fully bent pipes, which are usually billiards. All one thing would

be a tad boring.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Generations of pipe smoking seem to influence this as well. My grandfather preferred full bent pipes (as did many of his day), my father was a straight pipe guy (as were many of his day) and I prefer a 1/4 bent (as it would appear many do today). Most of my Bartlings are straight and smoke well. The majority of my pipes are some form of bent. But again, it is a matter of taste and tastes change...

Spencer

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I started out with bents, but now I hardly smoke them. My clench method, which is really more of a dangle / lever, just doesn't work with bents.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
My favorite shape for a pipe is half bent. I also have pipes in straight, half bent and full bent. If I am reading which I do 99% of the time while smoking my pipes I prefer a full bent since it is easier to clench and it does not get in my way while reading. The majority of my pipes, especially my recent purchases have been half bents, preferably in an apple shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.