PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
I got into pipe smoking, around seven or eight years ago, through my brother. The first tobaccos he threw at me were tins of Samuel Gawith's Brown Flake and Penzance. I had no clue. I burned right through those tins without even an idea of the sorts of flavors I was expecting to find. After that, my wife bought me a bag of Super Value vanilla. That's still keeping the bottom of my sock-drawer smelling nice.
Since then, I have been through many blends of varying type and have learned how to enjoy them. I understand what to look for in complex Balkan blends as well as VaPers and their like. The one thing that surprised me the most, especially in the last year, is that I have become obsessed with finding the single dimensions that I appreciate in tobacco blends. So much so that I have begun searching for OTC blends and a few others in search of solid "mono-tone" smokes.
As of late, I have become a fan of both Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert (very dry Prince Albert). I have also had a sample of Five Brothers that I very much enjoyed, as well as the occasional bowl of Pirate Kake.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for some worth-while one-dimensional experiences?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
How can you malign SWR and PA as monochromatic? If the tobacco is 'fit' for the bowl it's not ever one dimensional.

There is always something about even the OTC's that distinguishes a PIPE tobacco within it's flavor spectrum.

As for simplicity due to their cut, and general lack of complexity, I cannot argue, but there is more to any real pipe tobacco than one taste.

That being said, I too have come to value those old standbys. If you've been reading much of anything on this forum you already know that Carter Hall is also in that mixture of otc's that have stood the test of time.

Simplicity has its place in my rotation, along with Va, VaPa,VaBur, and Lat blends.

The P&C Mid Town Series also fills that niche of good, basic, quality pipe tobacco. I've tried their Price Andrew and now Chatham, and find that they hold their own with their models.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
I'm certainly not meaning any part of my initial post to be insulting to the blends mentioned therein; poor choice of words. I'm obviously going to have to check my assessment of those OTC's (and I think I'll start doing that with a bowl full of Prince Albert in a few minutes).
What I suppose I'm trying to describe is that I'm looking for simple, well defined blends. Blends with solid bases and not a lots of frills.
That being said, I'm going to go get a pen and start listing what I see here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't so much think insulting, just each blend has that "something" that sets it apart. The Mid Town series also has a blend called Sweet Cask which is a reproduction of the classic Sugar Barrel. I think it will also add to your collection quite nicely. For something with a little more kick though, try Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I agree with the Sweet Cask recommendation, it has replaced my normal morning bowl of PA for now. I like a simple tobacco to to start the day, and it fits the bill very well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think one thing to keep in mind is that the less complex blends may require some acclimatization before you suddenly realize, HEY! This stuff ain't half bad!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Every smokers tastes and impressions differ, some more so than others. For me the most monochromatic pipe tobacco I've ever smoked is the much coveted and sought after Stonehaven from Esoterica. It's not that I dislike the stuff it's just that for me the taste never moves from first light to last gasp. I could never finish a large bowl of the stuff because quite honestly, I'd be bored to tears with it. That being said I'm sure that I've described other blends as robust or complex when others detect none of that. Just keep sampling and recording your impressions and you'll find yourself closing in on what it is that your searching for in a very specific way. Also be aware that as time marches on your tastes will evolve and today's favorite may take a back seat to something you stumble into a year from now.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't think that calling SWR or PA one dimensional or mono-chromatic is insulting. They are simpler tobacco blends, and I too enjoy them from time to time. It's nice to have fine dining experiences with all the complex flavors involved, but sometimes a few apple slices with cheddar cheese can be very satisfying too! I find my tastes change from time to time. It's just nice to have so much to choose from to experience so many different smoking pleasures. I happen to like it all! :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
OP ==> Does anyone have any other suggestions for some worth-while one-dimensional experiences?
I may be mistaken, but I interpreted the term one-dimensional not to mean monotone, but rather to describe

a blend that's true to the taste of the leaf (leaves); which is why I suggested Pease's line.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the term "multi-dimensional smoke" would suggest.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
Cortez => I hadn't even considered the actual physics of one-dimensional tobacco. We might have to consult The Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.