PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Just call me Mr. Magoo now! I got up really quick to grab a drink and when I got back to the couch I sat down and was treated with the sound of a CRUNCHHH. I gasped and jumped up to see my glasses sitting there in pieces!! GREAT! Just what I need with everything else going on right now. I have been slowly saving money up as I can to get my truck running while putting a few bucks here and there aside for a small TAD purchase. Well.... Now I need new friggin glasses. :crying:
I really can not see without them so I don't know what I am going to do! Anyone that wears glasses knows how expensive they are (especially without insurance) so this will be fun. I have work tonight too! Darn it!!
Well, I had to vent to someone and no one better than my friends on the forum. Thanks for dealing with it, time for me to curl up in a ball and freak out. :|

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perscription specs are so expensive. Any chance you have the last prescription pair still folded in a drawer somewhere?

They might give you a headache, but it's better than nothing. Some lucky people can do with those drugstore glasses,

for fifteen/twenty bucks, but if you need more correction, for astigmatism, etc., that won't work. I used to get an extra

pair, but I quit that when I had to go to progressive lenses.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
What can I say other than I feel for ya! Hopefully some guys in the forum can pass you on some decent smoke to get you through. I'd be happy to oblige, but I live in a no-mail zone!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I wish I did, this was my first pair of glasses so I'm SOL in that department.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
You type well for someone who can't see right...lol
Seriously though....that really sux man... Life's a funny ride sometimes...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I feel your pain. My current glasses are made of stuff that can bend, be twisted and abused by sitting on them and they return to their proper shape. Expensive? Yes, but I figure I'd be down about 6 pair of regular glasses by now. Good luck with your next pair.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Sorry to hear that, I have trifocals with prism lenses and keep a pair in the car, shack and bedroom if not for the GF and was in you're predicament I would be counting with a white cane! I cringe at the DMV every time renewal comes up, I memorized Dr. Snellens chart! But as mentioned before my very old opthomologist said always keep a current script from the Dr. ie. traveling anything can happen, I keep it in my wallet. Good luck :(

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
That glasses website is pretty nifty. I've been thinking of getting a new pair for a while now - this is very helpful.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Sorry for the late replies. I had to start getting ready for work for the night. I am home now from my almost worthless $8 job now though. $8 in California is difficult to get by on I'll tell you but at least it is something. Some people don't even have that.
What can I say other than I feel for ya! Hopefully some guys in the forum can pass you on some decent smoke to get you through. I'd be happy to oblige, but I live in a no-mail zone
I appreciate the willingness, I must say though that I'm not asking for Baccy. Just needed to vent a little bit.
Costco or other similar stores have the best prices, and their quality is excellent.
Yeah Costco was the best price I found. Still more than I have but it needs to be done and it's the best price so far.
Yikes, I sympathize. This is incentive for me to go ahead and get me a new pair, so that I can use these as my old ones. Who knows if I will have extra cash when these go.
Well at least some positive came out of my experience. I was able to help someone in some way! :rofl:
I highly recommend getting your next pair of glasses from Zennnioptical.com If you plug in your prescription (which you will need to acquire from your eye doc.) they will put them in frames, etc. My last pair of glasses cost $30. If you have an oddly shaped head or something, it may not be for you, but I've been very happy with my specs.
I am not affiliated with this company just fyi. The glasses industry is basically a monopoly and charges out the arse needlessly.
Thanks for the info, I will need to get a new exam done and maybe that would be a good way to go about getting the glasses. How long did it take for you once your order was placed to receive the glasses?
You type well for someone who can't see right...lol
Seriously though....that really sux man... Life's a funny ride sometimes..
:rofl: luckily for the forum or writing aspect of things my glasses are used for distance. I can probably see three feet in front of me until it's a wall of blur.
I feel your pain. My current glasses are made of stuff that can bend, be twisted and abused by sitting on them and they return to their proper shape. Expensive? Yes, but I figure I'd be down about 6 pair of regular glasses by now. Good luck with your next pair.
Space aged stuff huh! I can barely afford regular glasses but maybe in the future it could be a possibility.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I feel your pain! Done that before....

I'm not allowed to drive or anything without my specs, so it was a bit of a problem at the time.
Best of luck finding a new pair and getting sorted!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I will second Zenni. I haven't bought glasses from a local store in 5 years. I spent $250 last year and got 6 pairs of glasses (2 were sunglasses) for my wife, daughter and myself. Sure you can't try them on, but for the low cost, I just buy a different pair.
When you get your prescription, be sure to get you pupillary distance (PD) measured as you'll need to it to order from Zenni or any other online retailer.
Good luck!
-Jason

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I will second Zenni. I haven't bought glasses from a local store in 5 years. I spent $250 last year and got 6 pairs of glasses (2 were sunglasses) for my wife, daughter and myself. Sure you can't try them on, but for the low cost, I just buy a different pair.
When you get your prescription, be sure to get you pupillary distance (PD) measured as you'll need to it to order from Zenni or any other online retailer.
Good luck!
-Jason
Wow, $250!! I just feel like it may be a gamble and I need my glasses. And this way I know they fit well and that I like them. Granted I payed more than that for one pair!!
I just got back from the doc and paid $270!!! Granted I have no insurance and went with the transitions lenses ($45 more) my next pair will definitely be from the website though. So this means no Baccy for me for a few momths :crying: I might have to break out my unspoken electronic device. (I hope that was vague enough for the mods)

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
While reading the first post I thought you broke your pipe.
Glad it was only your glasses.
:rofl:
Honestly.... I think I may of settled for a pipe just for the fact that all I have are cheap estates! HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.