Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
So I have been reading up on the MM cobs and I am pretty sure I want one. Sounds like a great pipe for little money. Plus, it is a piece of Americana!!
Jason

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I just got a grab bag for my pipe group and its a great deal for a great selection.

I love my own cobs. Can't go wrong. I have a general, an eaton,, a patriot, a country gentleman, and a legend as my regular cobs.

The only down side is trying to choose which one to smoke!

You'll love your cob!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I personally don't care for the idea of the grab bag, cheap though they may be...
I've got a fleet of Country Gentlemen cobs, 12 or 13, I can't remember.
I have tried other models but they were not really to my liking. I smoked the hell out of them and threw them out.
Country Gents were perfect for my needs - a fair size bowl with a nice dark stain and a sharp overall appearance.
Unfortunately with the drought in the Midwest I think that production has ceased on the larger pipes, including the Country Gentlemen. I hope it is just temporary. In the meantime, I am glad that I thought ahead and bought so many...
I definitely recommend that you get some MM cobs - I've only come across a handful of people who didn't enjoy them in some way.
Don't forget either that they can last for several years with proper care. They are the best $5 investment you could ever make IMO.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I also second the grab bag idea. I did and am very glad for it. It instantly gives you a bigger rotation to let your pipes rest. Also you'll have some to give to friends. Mine only had minor cosmetic issues.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
production was not ceased, but instead cut by 50%, they developed hardwood pipes (like the Ozarks) to replace the cobs should production really suffer.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I think I'm getting early symptoms of PAD, when I started pipe smoking (a week ago) I loathed cobs for no reason other than how they looked, and over the last 7 days, I've gone from 'I will never own/smoke a corn cob pipe', to 'I gotta have a couple'...

Jul 15, 2011
The grab bag that was mentioned earlier was $30 of the best dollars I ever spent. Ten cobs that all look perfectly fine to me, smoke nice and make for great utility pipes for when I am working on a project or just need to rest my briars. Some love cobs, some hate em, but considering what they are and the price you pay for them, they are a very nice little pipe.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've had one for ages but maybe smoked 2-3 bowls out of it. Fired it up again the other day with some St. James Flake and its been very nice. Have smoked it twice this past week, think I will have to keep up with that.

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
I have 3, 1 quarter bent, 1 straight and one large full bent. the quarter and straight get used a couple day's a week, great smoking don't have to worry about what you do with it but the full bent large bowl that's a story for another day.
If you can get one it's worth it if you can get three do it, make sure there all different so you can choose.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
You buggers are gonna make me break my out of hiding. I was brand new to pipe smoking when my wife bought it, now I have to retry it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Missouri Meerschaums are great. I know Dave over at Walker Briar works sells some models with a pretty nickel band for a few dollars more. The "forever stems" he sells make smoking a cob more enjoyable for me.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
production was not ceased, but instead cut by 50%, they developed hardwood pipes (like the Ozarks) to replace the cobs should production really suffer.
My bad, I heard they weren't able to manufacture the large ones anymore this year. They are out of stock at my usual sources so for my purposes they are gone, anyway. Luckily I don't need anymore at the moment.
Cant go wrong with a MM Cob. My favorite is the Country Gentleman.
You can get a nice long smoke from a Country Gentleman. I got sick of the smaller pipes because they never gave me enough time to really get in the groove with my tobacco...
PS to anyone buying cobs, the biggest flaw in my opinion is that there is often a gap between the bottom of the pipe and the draft hole. There are ways to fix this; you can insert a wooden plug in the bottom; you can create pipe mud from cigar ash and level off the bottom. which will harden when you give it time to cure; and for the lazy men among us (such as myself) you can plug up the gap solidly with a bit of extra tobacco before every smoke and then proceed to pack as usual. Just be sure to completely remove any remnants after the smoke is finished! It only takes a tiny bit, so it's not really a waste. It seems to wick moisture away from the rest of the tobacco so it works for me at least...

(I can't see it causing sourness unless you don't clean your cobs well)

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I was hanging out during lunchtime at Smoker's Haven with my coworkers chatting with Premal like we usually do when the Fed Ex truck shows up. Premal was unpacking the goods and notified us that he has MM Cobs that just arrived. So my cohorts and I bought some. Got a bent and a straight Legend. Haven't smoked them yet.
Oh yea.. picked up a tin of Esoterica Margate too :)
It is so hard not walking out of that store without buying something.
Jason

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Try them out, I think you will like them. I swear by my Country Gent and my Diplomat, one or the other is usually in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.