PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
No, I'm not new to it and it's not that I ever disliked it or wasn't sure about what it does for a blend but this summer has turned into a summer of discovery for me as it pertains to pipe tobaccos.

Perique is present in some English blends, Nightcap for example and for a pretty long time I smoked primarily Latakia blends, some with Perique, many without and all was right with the world. This forum with its wealth of knowledge and the warm weather of summer influenced me heavily and I've been all over the map smoking straight Golden Virginias, Stoved, flue cured Va's, VaBur blends and of course, VaPer blends along with some Orientals and my regular go to English and Balkan blends.

What struck a cord for me though was as much as I love straight Va's like Dunhill Flake and OGS as well as large amounts of DNF that I've consumed, I found myself yearning for something bolder, more full bodied. Enter the Queen of all condiment tobacco, Perique! Today I burned through a couple small bowls of Dunhill Flake and felt kind of unfulfilled so I went down to my stash and pulled out a jar of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake and loaded up a medium sized bowl. Ding, ding, ding! This is what I'm talking about! The addition of Perique into this spun Va with the cavendish center is just ringing my bell. Aged Haddo's Delight does it for me too and I'm finally starting to appreciate this spicy condiment for what it can do for a blend. It rounds it out, creates boldness, a fuller body and makes for a satisfying smoke without adding any heaviness. I'm not ready to smoke it straight up or anything but I've discovered that I do truly love it as it's added to mixtures by artful blenders who seem to instictually know just how much to toss in there. So now I'd like to hear what some favorite blends you all love that contain some Perique.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A few fave's:
H&H AJ's Vaper & Louisiana Red (Cerberus & Magnum O! too, but with Latakia)

McConnell's Scottish Cake

MacBaren HH Acadian Perique

C&D Kickin Chicken

1888 Villiger After Dinner

PS LBF

Escudo

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Cobguy,
The Villiger 1888 After Dinner, is it not an Aro? I was at least under that impression. My shop has a few tins and I've never talked with anyone who's smoked it.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning is my ultimate go-to.
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture is my second in command, but only because it is much more expensive.
Cornell & Diehl Three Friars contains a pinch of burley, and rounds out my Royal Trio.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, Perique is the perfect spice for certain blends, used to perfection in Nightcap. I don't want a blend

too Perique forward, but used just right, like peppers in food, it brings up the flavor of everything else in the

blend while doing its little dance on your taste buds.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Gawith St. James Flake is one of the first VaPers that I tried, and I have yet to find one that beats it as far as having just the right amount of Perique contributing to a full-bodied complexity. I am sure there are other great ones I haven't had yet, but I have heard from more experienced smokers that St. James Flake is one of their top choices as well. It is sold old most places right now but can be had if one looks for it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy,

The Villiger 1888 After Dinner, is it not an Aro? I was at least under that impression. My shop has a few tins and I've never talked with anyone who's smoked it.
The Burley that's used is described as an "aromatic Burley" but it's more an "essence" than a flavor.

Some desciptions say it's in the traditional Dutch / Bali tradition, kind of like a Lakeland has it's own essence.
One thing is sure ... it's a good Vaper and the Burley plays second fiddle with lots of body and a mild sweetness.

It's being discontinued, I understand, so grab a tin and try it!

If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands. :D

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Seriously though, I put up a post a few months back with Perique recommendations broken down into several "flights" of similarly styled blends. Sadly, I can't find it. But if your search-fu is stronger, perhaps you can find that post and see my recommendations broken down by style.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
...Perique recommendations broken down into several "flights" of similarly styled blends.
Here you go brother ... nice list and solid recommendations:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/vapers-for-a-newbie

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I Think I Love Perique!

I love you too.
Lol, I should've known there'd be someone with that screen name.
Btw, that's quite a good list! I've got a few of those recommendations doing there thing in the cellar. The Scottish Cake is one that I've passed over many times but it's been mentioned so often that I'm going to pick some up.

Irish Oak for when I want to rake the leaves in late Fall, with a cool wind.

H&H Louisiana Spice for the afternoon walk in Early Spring with that touch of cigar for an added bit of panache.

C&D Prairie Wind for that long Drive through country roads.

C&D Poplar Camp for that heavy nic kick in the late afternoon.

D&R Rimboche SJ for when I want to just pop a tin and chain smoke it to the bottom as fast as I can.

mmmmmmm...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for the vid Trailboss, talk about a boutique industry! I wonder if we could market the by product from the gas bubbles coming out of those barrels?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For those who are adventurous:
John Patton "Coll Hand Fluke" - 40% perique

C&D Chenet's - 35% perique
The JP is dominated by the perique

Status
Not open for further replies.