PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Or at least.. I got a pipe with a P-Lip ;-)
I found out that a good new one would run me close to $80 with shipping. Think Aran or Donegal. So I set a max of $55 on this one. Got it for $46, plus $6 in shipping.
The seller was "member234589" and that somehow rings a bell as well. Does it happen to be someone here ? More detail on the listing here. It does have some fills on the bowl, but it looks clean, no serious bite marks, etc.. The one thing that worries me is a mark on the stem that may look like a hole. If so, I think I may be hosed and have to send it off to get a replacement stem. On the other hand, it looks to be a late 40's pipe based on the markings. Which even if I have to send it in to get a replacement stem on it is pretty neat.
$(KGrHqR,!lwE8GCBYnseBPDwTsv!Nw~~60_3.JPG

Here's the close-up of the stem that worries me

538283966_o.jpg

Any opinions on that stem ? Or the pipe in general ?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Mick I had a hole in one and filled it with epoxy then sanded it down, still smoke it to this day and not dead yet. :rofl:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The seller actually claims it is not a hole, but it still worries me I guess ;-)
No it NOT a hole. But it is a blemish that must have been in the plastic when molded. And it only on the surface. Good luck bidding, Denny

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
If it doesn't affect the way the pipe smokes, I say don't worry about it. If you just don't like the look, do what was suggested and fill in with epoxy and sand. Nice pipe though, Enjoy. :puffy:

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I asked the same question and got the same answer on that pipe. I was really interested in it till I saw that "blemish" or whatever it is. You'd have outbid me anyway, I was gonna go max $45 on it :lol: if you turn out not liking it, id be willing to take it off your hands 8)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Dylan,

lol... didn't realize we were bidding on the same. ;-)
I had set a max of $49 on the pipe so that it would be $55 with shipping. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to let it go. On the other hand, if I don't like the P-Lip, I may go the extra length and get a replacement peterson fishtail stem on it. They run about $40. Which makes the pipe pretty expensive, but it looks like it's really a pre-republic era pipe. Perhaps '47-'49. I'll have to look at the hallmarks when I get it. If it's that old, it makes it a neat piece to add to my collection.
As a side note, does anyone know member234589 on eBay ? It sure does ring a bell and I think I've seen it on other posts.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Looks like a real good buy. The P lip may take a wee bit of getting used to. I love the ones I have.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
@Mick its definitely a beautiful pipe. I agree, it looks like an oldie for sure. I absolutely love p-lip stems, its a bit unusual at first but I totally latched on. Now, 5 of my 7 Petersons are p-lip.
Haven't heard of member234589 before. I was sort of wary of someone with that type of username :?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Mick I had a hole in one and filled it with epoxy then sanded it down
Just out of curiousity, what do you use to keep the draw open? I have been using a couple of flatwound guitar strings, dipped in beeswax passed through the stem, and while it works, it's by no means ideal.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Thats a nice pipe for 46 bucks. Let us know what exactly that blemish is when you get it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If the hole is close enough to the button, I would just put a softy bit over it. I am still fairly new at pipe repairs, but the epoxy thing sounds like a good solution. Welcome to the P-lip club!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the tips on fixing the hole (if that's what it is.. still hope it's not).
I'll report back when I have it, inspected it, cleaned it and above all... smoked it :puffpipe:

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Just out of curiousity, what do you use to keep the draw open? I have been using a couple of flatwound guitar strings, dipped in beeswax passed through the stem, and while it works, it's by no means ideal
I used a pipe cleaner dipped in some cooking oil.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Just got a little package... it is NOT a hole ;-)
It may have been patched though at one time or another. But a cleaner runs straight through. Very nice state, almost barely smoked from what I can tell. I'll take some close-ups and post later.
But very relieved it is not a hole :clap:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pre-Republic Petes's are supposed to be the ticket in the Pete world. Try a little black superglue for the hole, it is used by guitar repair shops. If you can live with those wicket fills, I bet she smokes just fine. Here's source for the superglue:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Stewart-MacDonald_Super_Glues/Super_Glue.html

Status
Not open for further replies.