PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2013
So i recently bought a pipe from a local smokeshop, its a wizard looking pipe like they have in the Lord of the Rings. Its pretty cool, but ive been having trouble with my bowl only lasting a few minutes! At first i thought it had something to do with the way i was packing the bowl, but after much research and reading on the topic of bowl packing I still cant get my pipe to last more than 5 minutes. My next thought was that perhaps i bought a bad brand of tobacco, which i also got from the smokeshop. Its a 3oz bag of Bull Durham Menthol, comes in a green pouch. After research on that i discovered that it may just be RYO tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco to avoid taxes. Is this the case? And if so is this what is causing my bowls not to last as long or is it something im doing (or not doing) that is causing this? I just started smoking pipes so i didnt even know about RYO tobacco when I bought the stuff. Thanks!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sounds like you need a pack of E Z Widers! I'm not saying there are no menthol pipe tobacco blends, I'm just saying I can't think of any. Good news? You can probably mix it with a ribbon style blend without much problem ( I wouldn't but you certainly can) if you want. Better yet, find a friend who smokes RYO cigs. I imagine it does smoke pretty fast and probably too hot too. Don't fret. Albert Einstein tried the same thing and he was a genius! Best.
Mike S.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
thats for sure some RYO baccy.... just grab some papers and you will be fine.. HAHA! Try and find a local B&M, not a head shop that sell glass pipes and hookahs... I have been to some of my "smoke shops" around my town and they are all pretty ghetto when it comes to anything pipe tobacco or cigar related... Hopefully you have a good pipe/cigar shop in the area.. good luck my friend! P.S. welcome to the forum!

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks guys! Im glad that was my problem, i was starting to think my pipe was faulty or something! Thanks for the welcome as well, ill post something when I get some better tobacco and let you guys know how it goes!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
As a matter of general principle, there's nothing against smoking RYO in a pipe. Whether you enjoy it or not is another matter. I've met several people who never smoke anything but RYO like Drum or Samson in their pipes. The only real difference is the cut. RYO is cut finer than pipe tobacco and that does tend to give a very fast and wet smoke.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
In my opinion there is no such thing as RYO tobacco. I'm currently smoking 3 short bowls of G&H dark birdseye daily. Thinking, carp, I just bought a half pound of drum. I mastered it and now look forward to it. There's a place for a quick bowl. Papers are unreasonably expensive. I say, go for it. People use to slice cigars and smoke it out of pipes. Try smoking Red Man or an anise cigar. Now that's where I draw the line.

LOL Swampmouth.
Hmmm, I wonder what a bowl of Skoal Longcut would taste like, Nope, nope. LOL. I imagine that cowboys back in the day put just about anything that came along in their pipes, so I could see using a RYO in the pipe. But, a wink or nod would help for those of us wanting a more pleasant smoking experience :D

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
That reminds me of a time I went to a tobacco shop to buy some tobacco. I had done some research and new quite a few brands I would be willing to try. The wall was lined with huge, cheap bags of "pipe tobacco," none of which I had ever heard of... So, I asked the guy at the shop for some help. He asked "What kind of cigarettes do you smoke?" I just stared at him like a fool... Why would I have to smoke cigarettes to buy pipe tobacco? Turns out, he had all of his shipment boxes in front of the "real" pipe tobacco that I had researched and I missed it. That day I found out about RYO "pipe tobacco."

Oct 28, 2013
Hey guys, OP here,

Just wanted to thank you guys again. I got some "mans best friend" which is a pretty mellow Sutliff blend (and actual pipe tobacco!) and my bowls have been lasting a good 45 minutes when I savor them. I look forward to trying some other blends and have even been mixing in a little of the Durham for an extra little zing every once and a while. Thanks again!

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
+1 On the "Man's Best Friend". The "West Minster" is another one to try from Sutliff if they carry it. If they carry the Tobacco Galleria pouches from Sutliff I also liked the "Fox and Hound". It doesn't get good reviews, but it was my first introduction to English from aros and I thought it wasn't half bad for the price. It has to be better than Bull Durham.

Status
Not open for further replies.