I Think I am an Aromatic Man (For Now Anyways)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well after five years of pipe smoking, I have come to the conclusion that I just love Lane 1Q and Lane RLP-6. I have tried other tobaccos, and while I can appreciate them, I just keep coming back to my beloved 1Q and RLP-6.
Edit: Removed offer, L. Please offer it on Briarbid.com

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I have not been smoking for anywhere near 5 years but I find myself enjoying aero's more than most others. I have yet to try 1Q but my go to for now is captain black.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I always read with interest how some how we have created such a stigma that aromatic pipe tobacco is for newbies and should almost make the person feel bad that they enjoy them. I get that some people have decided that the progression of experiance is Aromatic, English and finally for the experianced VA or VaPer. For years there have been pipe smokers that only smoked one blend never varied from that. Carter Hall, Half and Half, and so many other traditional old man tobacco's can be classed as aromatic or slightly aromatic and have been a staple tobacco for pipe smokers for years. Bottom line, smoke what you like, will your tastes change as you get more experianced, yes they probably will but you may find you start with an English and move to an Aromatic. Hell, might even be a cherry tobacco you prefer. It's your choice smoke what you like. You don't let others tell you chicken wings are for new eaters and steak is for more experianced eaters. We are a small community and cannot afford to judge others for their personal taste. Smoke your aromatic blend proudly. You'll get lot's of positive comments from people around you for sure. My wife loves the smell of Aro's but not English. I keep momma happy when I am around her with what she likes that I also like. When Momma's not home I fire up an English and relish the experiance.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Amen, I've been smoking mainly VA's and VAPER's lately, but the other night I pulled out some Captain Black for a change and had a great smoke. Smoke what you like and hold your head up high.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I really enjoy Virginia and Burley flakes. I also enjoy some English blends. Every now-and-again I like to come back to my roots and smoke a tasty aromatic. Why not? I don't eat and drink the same thing every day either.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Excellent post piperl12. There should never be any shame in liking what you like. To each his own and all that jazz. :)

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I also am an aero-man. I have found 15 or so aeros from MacBaren, Mclelland, Boswell, a blender in Boca Raton, and a guy here that I really like. And, although I am still confused about what a burley is, I am really liking Boswell's Premium Burley.
I can't handle latakia and perique. I also can't handle liver. Or calamari (but I really dig escargot - go figure).
And, even though I am one, I do not feel like a tyro. In fact, ever since I learned how to smoke (it was sort of like learning how to ride a bicycle), I have been feeling like an old hat.
Ride like you stole it. And smoke whateverthehellyoulike.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Well guys, let me tell you my story. I am 51 years old, never smoked in my life but always enjoyed the aroma I would get when around a pipe smoker when I was a kid. About 9 months ago I decided to get myself a pipe & a few tobaccos & give this a try. Thanks to many friendly & helpfull members on this site my experience so far has been a very pleasurable one. I have smoked about 15 different tobacco blends so far & have found it amazing how many choices we have in finding tobaccos that we like. I totally agree with enjoying what you smoke & smoking what you enjoy. Its really very simple to me and I find way too many get off on what one should like & how aromatics are for certain smokers. I hope everyone here enjoys smoking as much as I do , if you don't its your own fault cause in my book your free to choose any tobacco that makes you happy. Anyway I just want to tell everyone here how much I appreciate the support & wisdom that is always so freely given. I probably still would be on the outside looking in if it wasn't for all you folks. THANK YOU so much !!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I have posted an awful lot on this topic since last Nov when I first picked up a pipe. I have gone so far as to think something must be wrong with me because every time I try an English or VA, I don't "love it" like I do the aros. Then many essentially say "just hang in there, when you get more experienced, you'll enjoy the finer tobaccos" (paraphrasing). Seeing this thread is somewhat validating to me that after 5 years, some people still enjoy the aros. I have a few tins + quite a bit of HH Mature Virginia if the taste ever grips me. I can rest assured that the tobacco I have collected thus far will go to great use by me or other aro lovers.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I've been smoking Aromatics for over thirty years because it's what I like and I started way before forum discussions.
My advice smoke what you like even if it's not what the kool kids are smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.