PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I recently acquired a Paycok. I've never owned a calabash with meerschaum. Looks a lot like this:
M03602_web01__06906.1438110634.1280.1280.jpg

After two bowls, it tastes like air. The meerschaum is starting to color, which is nice. But the taste I get out of a brand new briar I dedicated to G.L. Pease Westminster is ten times more present than when smoked in this pipe.
I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps it takes a while for this style of pipe to develop? Perhaps I should smoke much faster? Pack much tighter?

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Lol rfernand. I was just being playful.
The only thing I can think of is maybe you haven't packed the tobacco tight enough ant it is not burning well?
I say don't get discouraged. If it's clearly not a problem of craftsmanship then experiment with the tobacco. Grind it up in a blender idpf ya have to. Cheers!

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
The bowl is fully seated, and I see no damage in the gasket. It didn't seem to be drawing air from other sources either.
I'm starting to think I will dedicate this for Halloween costumes only.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My old calabash was tricky to load when I first got it. It did need a tighter, quite a lot tighter, packing at the start that any other pipe I had or have had. I'd give it a couple more goes, packing tighter until you get the draw you want.
I enjoyed the smoking attributes of mine, it felt good in the mouth and rested on my chest while reading. A lovely smoker and kind of a kick to use.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Calabash pipes tend to mute flavors of tobacco. I usually only smoke very strong or harsh blends in my Pioneer.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Chasing embers nailed it. With all of the extra room in the gourd it dilutes the flavor. Some love them but I taste very muted flavors. This is the same reason I'm hesitant to buy a reverse calabash. I like to taste my blends fully.

Mar 1, 2014
I think this is the first mention I've seen of an expansion chamber negatively affecting flavor. I guess "cool" is usually the adjective used to describe that design.
Oppositely, does that mean nosewarmers give the best flavor?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
an expansion chamber negatively affecting flavor
As the walls of the cooling chamber fill with tars from the smoke, more flavor can be detected. Alot of the flavor loss is due to the large absorbant surface area, and even more so in a true gourd. After several smokes, this will remedy itself, but still give you the cooling properties of the large air chamber. Even still, the flavors will not be as strong as in a single chambered pipe.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
It seems to be performing better after a few tightly packed bowls of Dunhill Flake. It's still muting the flavor, but definitely a cooler smoke than I'm used to.
I may reserve it for blends such as Peterson's Irish Flake.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Fall is here and Winter is coming. I'll get some Amontillado Sherry ready :)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have several gourd calabash pipes and they are great smokers. Embers and Warren are right on for my money. My pipes are not the larger ones but I much enjoy reading and smoking them. The one in your pic looks to be briar?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Some kind of grain anyway. Not Gourd. I am not sure that would effect anything but weight however. The concept is the large area for the smoke to cool in, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.