PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I just started smoking a pipe this year and it has been wonderful for both my husband and me. I started with clay pipes and now Andy has turned me onto a briar. But, and he thinks I'm silly, I swear that I can taste the acrylic stem and I just don't like that. My tobacco tastes far better in my clay pipe, but I don't like smoking the clay pipe in public because it's delicate and, judging from the dirty looks, has the appearance of a weed pipe.
Is the acrylic taste something that will go away as I break in the briar pipe? And where the heck can I find a pipe with a wooden stem and mouth piece that doesn't look like something that I'd take to the Renaissance Faire?
I'd appreciate some help. We're both pretty new to the pipe scene (just switched over from cigars to save money).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Drilling an acrylic stem, if done at too a speed could cause some melting of the material. You might be tasting burnt plastic. Clean it we'll with a high proof alcohol and a bristle cleaner(s). It may help,

Mike S.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is a first for me but Mike has a good recommendation. A high proof vodka, or Everclear, and bristle cleaner should do the trick. Good luck.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
This raises a question for me... how can you determine if a stem is acrylic or vulcanite? I've purchased a few estate pipes and am unsure. Several are just cheap pipes that I got so that I can practice restoring before working on better pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
If oxidation occurs, it is vulcanite. Acrylic will pretty much stay shiny forever. So, if the stem gets dull, or gets those orangy markings where your teeth scrape, it is vulcanite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have various acrylic and lucite stems, along with a number of vulcanite, and none of them has ever

imparted a taste of its own. You could be extra sensitive. I'd try various pipes with different stem

materials. Nothing wrong with sticking to your clay pipes. You might try one of the Old Dominion

corn cob pipes with bamboo stems, which are natural and might not have any taste for you. In general,

lucite is pretty inert and doesn't give off flavor.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My chubby fingers aren't iphone friendly. My reply was supposed to say drilling at too high a speed can melt the acrylic. Maybe you are tasting a bit of a melted plastic taste?
Mike S.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I can also taste acrylic stems, especially after drilling or sanding it recently. It should go away eventually and alcohol with pipe cleaner helps speed along.

Mar 31, 2014
I cleaned the stem out with vodka this morning and just finished a bowl tonight. There is a significant reduction in the acrylic taste. I cleaned it out once more just now and I think that should do the trick. Thank you all so much for your help!
Mike S. and papipeguy: A special thanks to you two
olewaylon: It's nice to know that you also have this problem. I wasn't sure if it was just all in my head. Sound advice, it worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.