PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I went over a pipe friend's house for the fight last night. I got there early and we hung out and had a few bowls. He offered up some Bold Kentucky and for some odd reason I decided to load a bowl and give it a go. I've heard it's rather strong and I'm typically a bit of a nicotine wimp. It did give me a bit of a buzz, but I didn't get overwhelmed by it. Before I arrived I had a really big lunch and I'd been sipping on water all day. It was a breezy late afternoon, so the bowl would go out from time to time and there were other people around to talk with, so I didn't tend it as much as when I'm alone. Drawing the bowl out longer and taking periodic breaks from it helped with the nicotine. I enjoyed the flavor, a bit of earthy nuttiness and spice from the Kentucky and some citrus sweetness and grass/hay from the Virginias. I'll definitely include a tin of it with my next order.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
The tobacco sounds very nice. Thanks for the review and notes. I actually have some HH on order right now - Old Dark Fired. Can't wait to give it a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not ready to pop my tin yet, but I truly like Old Dark Fired, and their cousin Latakia Flake, both in the Mac Baren's HH series. These blends really speak to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought this one was on the mild side. Went through my first tin in about two days. I did like the sweet, nutty earthiness of it, but not much of a kick. Could be an all day smoke here like ODF is if they start releasing the pound boxes of it. If you really want something with a punch, try SG Black XX. When I'm feeling really brave I even cut off a piece of the XX to chew. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Quite a bit more of ODF's earthy due to the larger proportion of dark fired, I think. Very good next step from ODF.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've enjoyed several tins of Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky so far. Chasingembers nailed the flavor profile. I also wonder about a bulk offering, a ready-rubbed version, and 100-gram tins.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is another enjoyable offering in this vein.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mild is not a term I would use for Bold Kentucky. It's milder than SG Black XX, but it's much stronger than ODF with less Virginia, and a little less flavor nuance. To me, it's like a mix of G&H Kendall Kentucky and Peterson's Irish Flake. I reviewed it here if any one is interested: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-macbaren-hh-bold-kentucky-review

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hmmm. Really didn't find it terribly strong. Must have a cast iron tongue. :mrgreen:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Man, if you're smoking that Black XX all the time, you gotta have some DNA from the planet Krypton!! :rofl:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I picked up ONE flake of this blend at the Mac Baren's table on Sunday. Since I am a nic lightweight, I chickened out. I included it in box of tobacco samples that I mailed out to my nephew, who just picked up the pipe.
Perhaps I should have included a warning.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Black rope is stronger than Dark Flake, which is stronger than just about anything else out there.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Excellent Tobacco, I enjoy all of the HH blends. I did not find it too offensively strong, but I have smoked and chewed home raised and home cured burley mos all my life. Don't really know what too strong is for that part. All I know is that this tobacco has a slight sweetness that is very appealing along with nutty undertones. Very well done.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Not a bad smoke at all. MacBaren is right when they say it is their strongest blend to date. Similar to their ODF but definitely stronger and not as sweet; and ODF 's sweetness is quite subdued to start with. What I do find off putting is the vinegar (yes, vinegar) casing which enters in and out of the smoke. Apparently the vinegar is their to prevent mold formation? Kind of like what McClellan does that produces their characteristic ketchup tin note. But you know the old saying.."If I wanted a salad, I'd have a salad."

Status
Not open for further replies.