New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first began exploring new tobaccos, I was using reviews from Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine and Tobaccoreviews.com. When I was checking out Virginias, I came across Dunhills Royal Yacht, but the reviews made it out to be a heavily flavored aromatic. It seemed to be a very polarized blend, either people loved or hated it, so I avoided it like the plague. Royal Yuck was its nickname on this forum for a while even. But, as I became hungry to try more and more strong blends, I finally tried it. Aromatic? Really? I knew the flavor from somewhere, and now after three tins of it, I know it to be a very popular flavor. I can name a few popular blends that are considered non-aromatics that use this exact same flavor, whether in casing or topping.

Peterson's University Flake, Bringham's Hudson Bay, Rattray's Wallace Flake, and Warrior Plug, and maybe others. It's funny how Royal Yacht has been so polarizing, yet University Flake isn't.

Anyways, if you think you'd like a moderate to strong blend of Virginias with a plum like, slightly anise-y flavor that doesn't compete too strongly with the natural tobacco flavoring, avoid the reviews and do some thinking for yourself. Maybe it's technically an aromatic, but it is nothing like the pink blouse aromatics that we all detest. Pack a bowl and take the yacht out for a cruise.

Dec 24, 2012
I have loved RY from the first time I tried it a few years back. To be honest, I prefer the Murrays' blend, but I'm not sure if that's because it is different or because it has some age on it. Good stuff. I am largely impervious to nic though, so I don't really know if this one is as strong as some people say.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm holding my unopened tin for the right moment. I'll know when it arrives.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
It's one of my personal faves, which is unusual. I normally prefer English blends. But the Yacht isn't too heavy on the topping, and has enough nicotine for a fun ride...

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I agree. Reviews would be great, if everyone had the same taste! But, much of the time, preferences are too varied; tongue of the beholder and all. The other day, I was looking up one of my favorite daily blends, and it only scored a 2(ish) out of 4... lucky thing I'd added a couple of ounces into an order, out of curiosity.
I've been delaying the purchase of Royal Yacht, for much the same reasons you had (as well as one particularity bad review from someone [online] who usually shares my similar taste in blends): Luckily, I bit the bullet, and threw a tin onto my most recent order, and should be receiving it sometime this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never tried it. I've heard both positives and negatives about it. I've got to many other tobacco's on my "must try" list, so it will probably be a long time before Royal Yacht makes my list.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Thanks Cosmic. I wasn't sure what to make of the reviews for RY, so I've been putting it off. What you say about the topping seals it-I can go ahead and try a tin. I'm a big fan of Uni Flake. (which I have heard referred to as an aro once or twice. The aro tag is confusing as hell) :?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm almost thru my first tin. I bought it since it was listed as Virginia based and full strength. Not real easy to find a real strong Virginia. Not my favorite but I'd give it 4 on a 1-5 scale because of its nic hit mostly.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree, Cosmic. You just have to try them for yourself. The way taste works, 9 out of 10 reviews from the same person could be spot-on, but that tenth one...you could wind up going "Blech! What the hell was that guy thinking?". Or vice versa, of course. Pipe smoking is just not something you can do vicariously.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I bought a tin a few months ago and didn't care for it much. I jarred it up and tossed it in the cellar. I'll try it again next year and see what I think. Sometimes a little age will make a big difference. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The way taste works, 9 out of 10 reviews from the same person could be spot-on, but that tenth one...you could wind up going "Blech! What the hell was that guy thinking?"
With reviewers, it helps to find someone whose taste mirrors you own, even if in 180 degrees. Then be aware of where they have either specific favorites or dislikes, as those could be blind spots.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's on my list of tobacco's to try. Just haven't gotten around to it as it's near the bottom of my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.