I Saw a Guy Puffing a Corncob Very Roughly and It Didn't Seem Hot. Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cobs are good at dispersing heat and very absorbent. They will stand lousy smoking technique a lot better than briars do, but the tobacco still tastes like hot ass when you smoke that way.
Just imagine smoking a cob with proper technique, and you'll see why many love them. Except for Cosmic; he claims a "rotten corn taste" from them. Never picked up on that, myself. My cobs smoke like a dream.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Cobs are good at dispersing heat and very absorbent. They will stand lousy smoking technique a lot better than briars do, but the tobacco still tastes like hot ass when you smoke that way.
What about the heat when comparing to briars? Are they way more resistant to heat than briars?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Depends on the cob, I guess. I can tell you the MM Mark Twain certainly is. Other shapes, probably not as much. But just because the heat is dispersing and you can't feel it on the outside of the bowl doesn't mean it's not tearing the shit out of the chamber. Leads to cracks and premature cob failure, or a burnout even.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
This is the main question as to if I will buy a corncob or a briar for now.
Seems not to be a good idea to invest in a standard-grade corncob then.
Better a basic Savinelli for a hard smoker then?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Oh we're posting too fast. I only have a poor Brazilian pipe, that gets hot AS HELL.
Seems not to be a good idea to invest in a standard-grade corncob then.
Better a basic Savinelli for a hard smoker then?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Savinelli makes a great pipe, and I also love cobs. I think you would be well served by either one if you are worried about not having a good smoking technique developed. The Savinelli won't let you get away with as much, so if you're trying to train yourself, that might actually be the better route to go. Then, when you have a technique down that will let you get a nice, cool, satisfying smoke out of a briar, you can try a cob and see if you like it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thanks. Does the Savinelli have some considerable resistance to heat, though?
No more questions I promise... I'll try.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have two. One is a 679KS that has a very thick bowl, and it would probably take more heat than my Bing, which has a regular bowl thickness. Just practice a nice gentle draw, and your pipe shouldn't get very hot anyway. As they always say, dry your tobacco more, pack looser, and smoke slower!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoked hard for three years and still going strong.
20180707_203236.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Duane, I think when you say "smoked hard", you're more meaning "lots of use". I think Mr. Machado is speaking more of supercharging.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Look for a Savinelli with thick, even chamber walls, or at least one whose rim isn't too thin (such as the churchwarden's you have now). The 320 shape is sworn by by some members here: smokes wonderfully. It's on the heavy side, though (thickness can have downsides), so the 321 might be a better option for some.
You can add a cob later. As a matter of fact, you should have more than one pipe, since you have to give them time to rest (a day or so), especially briars; unless you don't smoke every day, that is.
Don't worry about questions, that's what this site is here for. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.