PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Asking me to refrain from smoking indoors in my NYC apartment. It wasn't even signed, but I assume it was from the yuppie neighbors. The nerve! I will ignore it of course. If confronted I will suggest that they 1) Seal off their apartment, or 2)Move. I have been smoking in here for 48 years this week. I was smoking in here when they moved in. They could have declined to take the apartment if they did not like it. But no, they took the place and now want other people to conform to their trendy ideas. I would have to be ordered to stop smoking by a judge in order to comply.If anyone has any experience with this problem and knows how to fight it, lets hear about it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow - that sucks Foggy! What are the laws concerning smoking in one's own apt - are there any restrictions that you know of?
If not, I would ignore it. If so, I would look into an air purifier to cut down on the odor and smoke. No sense in getting the situation escalated and risk losing your right to smoke.
best of luck and keep us posted please.

About 8 years ago, I was in an apartment complex here in Alabama, where the neighbors upstairs started complaining to me to stop smoking in my own apartment. I went to my manager and complained about them. That just stepped up their annoying me, and I just documented their behavior (notes on my door, recording their banging on the floor, and videos of their accosting me in the hallway, etc...) until they were finally evicted. If there is nothing mentioned in the lease about smoking, enjoy your pipe.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Just tell them it is marijuana and they will rally around you for your right to smoke it.

Dec 24, 2012
Foggy, this may help you (written from the OTHER perspective)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/smoke/shs-in-residences.pdf
I would carefully check your lease to see if there is any prohibition in there

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice Peck. I do not have a copy of the lease, but I would have noticed if there were a prohibition on smoking. It was 1966, before people even thought about second hand smoke.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
If Old Cajun's suggestion doesn't work, offer to buy them a 22ounce non-diet soda.
Reads like more attempts by the PC crowd going after your Rights!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Cajun style sounds good but I guess NY style is send Tommy Knuckles to have a polite "conversation" about how noses don't work so good once they been busted.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Buy a can of something like this http://www.prankplace.com/Liquid-Ass-Spray-6909-0X.aspx

spray it all over and ask them if they prefer the "air freshener" instead.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Cajun style sounds good but I guess NY style is send Tommy Knuckles to have a polite "conversation" about how noses don't work so good once they been busted.
lol!
On the topic - true story, my best friend growing up had an eccentric family (to say the least). They moved from Harlem in the 70s (one of the few Italian families still living there) to Long Island (where I lived). One of his uncles was a famous beat poet and another a hit man for the mob (I kid you not).
This other uncle (the hit man) I met only once at a wedding after he was released from prison. This guy was the scariest dude I have ever met. He was 6 ft tall, about 3-4 ft wide (not fat - just huge). His hands were gigantic, fingers like sausages and his face was as like an Italian version of Jaws (from the Bond movies), but with his eyes mis-set (one was higher than the other).
He's the type of guy they send in when someone needed a talking to - and believe me, you didn't want to make him mad.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Six, good story - Old School, fuggedaboutit, it'll be taken care of, I know a guy to go have a talk wit dem.

Status
Not open for further replies.