PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Early this week I sent a gift of some tobaccos to a forum member here ( who can chime in if they want or may remain nameless if they so choose). Someone was nice enough to STEAL it out of his mail. It really sucks when you try to do something nice to help a fellow piper out and you have a$$holes who go and screw it up. It was confirmed as delivered by the local PO and on my tracking. PO says it was definitely stolen. :evil: :twisted:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have always been slightly concerned that all these packages that are left on my front stoop from my online orders would be a great target for a thief if they actually knew what was inside.
Sorry to hear about the lo{s, I hope everything works out!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That sucks, you just can't trust people these days! I hate thieves as well! I work hard for what I have and what I give to others, and to have someone think they can just take it really PISSES ME THE HELL OFF! Sorry for the loss of your shipment.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I live in a condo complex and was speaking to the mailman the other day...It seems we've got a package thief in our complex as well.
It's one thing if the package were insured or was a store purchase where you could put in a claim, but a scenario like this where it was a gift and it was a total loos, well that just really sucks.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
That does suck. If they ever catch the thief he'll do some time as I'm pretty sure it's a felony to steal someone's mail. Hope he gets tongue bite at the very least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The kleptomaniacs among us get a boost each time they take something, a kind of childish notion of being given

a gift, or a mean-spirited sense that they have somehow bested their fellow people. Of course all defenses are

just play-pretend excuses for deformed characters. This applies whether we are talking about compulsive

bumming of beers or smokes, or Bernie Madoff. One sign of true health in a community or work place is that

ones possessions are relatively safe. You don't have to lock your coat up to go to the restroom, etc. This is

upbringing, this is getting people to understand when they are in formative stages that their desires are not

not penultimate.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I'm so sorry for this to happen to you, I've always had the same fear but my mail man is nice enough to put my packages behind my gate and I've got 3 black labs that love to growl, so I think I've got some good insurance. Once again I hope this will be righted one way or the other.

~Ron

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I was having the same problem at my rural location. I solved it by buying a $85 locking mail box built like Fort Knox.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
There was a day when to steal mail from a mail box brought some very ugly and mean fellows to the perp's front door. Alas, I suppose those days are over.
This is just rotten.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A thief is a low-life SOB - one step below a rapist, which is one step below a pedophile. I have no use for any of them.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sorry for the loss of property and faith.
Long ago, I started using a mail service (have had many) like Postal Annex, etc. That way the USPS mail, UPS, FedEx, etc., is delivered to a "business" received by a human, and signed for if need be. Yes, it costs money, bvut so does the loss of packages left on your door step of your house, condo, or apartment.
Stealing mail from the post office or mail truck is a federal offense, but stealing mail once it has been delivered is not, it is only a petty crime, like stealing a candy bar from the QuickMart. That is why identity thieves who steal your mail and establish themselves in your name only get a slap on the wrist if caught.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wish I could say I was shocked, but I'm not. When I taught school in Detroit, if I knew I would be absent the next day, I would have to clear out any valuables, because they would be stolen. If I was unexpectedly sick, that's exactly what happened. So this theft doesn't surprise me in the least. That, sadly, says something about our society.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
That totally sucks, karma is a bitch though and they will get theirs.
Harris
back in the day when there were records clubs where your first order would be buy 1 and get 12 free if you signed up for a year, etc.. some kid (19yo) ordered for everyone on the street and would watch for the mailman and then steal them from the mail box. he wasn't too bright as he pulled the same trick for the next street over. needless to say after the FBI got done with him the last I heard he had suddenly joined the Army to get out of town.
I live out in the sticks now and all the delivery guys and the mailman just leave anything on the front porch chair and I've never had a problem. in the little town where I lived you could walk down the main street at midnight and very few doors are looked. If fact one of the old guys said he hasn't seen his house keys in 20 year at least.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have all my packages delivered to my office to avoid this very scenario. No issues with cards or stolen property when delivering to a business. You also guarantee delivery during business hours, which isn't always the case as with home delivery.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I finally got my package. My fiance said, it arrived in the mail shortly before the police officer did to get a report. What I don't understand is that I went to the post office this morning, and they told me that they talked to the one that delivers my mail, and she said she dropped a package off at my place and told me to notify the police officer. It does make me wonder if they actually lost the package and didn't want to take responsibility for it. But I am happy that i finally got it and that I have a new favorite tobacco called Frog Morton. Thanks Kent for the tobacco samples I really appreciate it. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.