PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
After a long break from pipe smoking I have returned. I was previously an armotaic only guy but since then, I have tried a handfull blends over the few months and I'd like some directions!
I've always liked the stronger, smokey and full flavoured baccy's (but aromatics were my go to) and my first reintroduction to high quality baccy that wasn't over the counter was Dunhill nightcap. I liked it, it was strong, petey like pine tar and rich and spicey. Nice kick in the face in the morning too!
After that whole tin (can't afford to bulk buy multiples, so only one or two tins at a time) I wanted a less.. 'acquired' baccy as a go to for most days.
Dunhill my mixture 965! Nice, more mild, still petey, spicey and sweeter. Got some left and it's a good smoke. I so far consider this the best blend for a 'go to'. (I know it's famous for being rather superb)
Now, as much as I love that musky, sweet and petey taste both have, I'm looking for something on the other end of the scale. A sweet Virginia..
I'd like to keep it simple so a ready rubbed or ribbon cut from a well known brand like Dunhill, Orlik or S.Gawith etc. Then I can most likely find it online (Englishman here) and order some to my door. Nothing flavoured/cased but modest yet high quality and complex Virginia.
To assist further, I trust my nose. The tin note from the Dunhill's is lovely, like pine tar/pete and rich spicey woods. I would like something that smells like strong fermented hay, mild citrus and sweet. Rich nd complex but not petey or smokey.
Does that make sense?
If not, any good branded Virginias to try for a guy who's been smoking the big bad wolf Nightcap? ;)
Thanks in advance,
Samon
What do you smokey sages of the far flung world recommend?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
965 is my everyday smoke..my wife likes the room note, I love the tobacco and it's readily available at every B&M I frequent in both bulk and tin. My favorite VA ( I know you asked for ready rubbed or ribbon cut ) is Samuel Gawith Full Va Flake and as far as I'm concerned it's the finest Va out there.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Peterson's Irish Oak is one of the more interesting and complex VaPer-based blends I have found. It also has burley and cavendish in it, so it may match the complexity of 965 (which is why I like 965 and PIO). It is a ribbon cut, ready to smoke with minimal, if any, drying time out of the tin. Ashton Gold Rush is another I would recommend; it is straight Va, and ribbon cut with a nice mellow sweetish flavor. I do have to say, by restricting yourself to ready-rubbed or ribbon cuts, you are excluding a huge number of quality Va-based tobaccos.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Well, as I've never played with flake or plugs etc, I am a little hesitant to try a smoking/flavour comparison incase I cock it up preparing..
I think my next buy though will be the S.Gawith VA flake though, it seems to have good reviews and is affordable, then I'll try Mac Baren Latakia flake.
Any tips on flake prep? Watched some videos a while back of whole flakes being folded and stuffed but looks a little .. too much per bowl?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Samon,

You might try Dunhills' Royal Yacht, it's a rubbed out Virginia. I love the stuff as do many others, but there are as many people who hate it as love it, if you want to try a sweeter blend you could do a lot worse.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sometimes I don't really want to deal with the whole flake rigamarole either. On those occasions, I just use scissors to cut off half inch lengths of flake, let it dry a few minutes, and rub it apart with my fingers until it's just like a ribbon cut. You're right about it sometimes being a bit much per bowl; if you don't rub it out like a ribbon cut, you could be in for a very long smoke! That's why many smokers prefer a smaller pipe for flakes. When you fully rub it out, you'll be amazed at how much "ribbon" tobacco comes out of a single flake.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You might want to try B&B tobacconists bulk-Ol'Limey Bastard, it's a 965 match but based on the earlier version of 965 before Orlik took over blending.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Ya, there really is no "trouble" in preparing a flake for smoking. That's like saying it's too much trouble to unzip my pants before I take a leak.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Try Solani silver flake. Easy to rub, burn great, got a nice sweetness and a little spiciness/earthiness. It's just the best!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I agree with what others have said, flake prep isn't that difficult. You can just cut it with scissors and rub it out. Since you like 965, I'm going to suggest you try......Dunhill Flake!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd go with the Rattrays as well; Hal o' the Wynd and Old Gowrie are both excellent choices for what you describe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a nice non-aro that's rowdy, not like 965 but a good complement in rotation, maybe CD Billy Budd or Old Joe Krantz. If you want a truly refined English that will serve as a mellow counterpoint to 965, then you might like Nat Sherman 536. There are so many good and interesting English (Scottish, Balkan) blends, you want to navigate the online retailers and read about dozens to pick up the trail of a few you might really like. You can filter out the hoopla and pick up on the actual specs on constituent tobaccos and strength/taste/room note and cuts, to see what might be worth trying. I'd buy in small quantities, an ounce or two, even when you find something you really like, since your taste may evolve pretty quickly. Also, save the ones you don't like and come back around to try them later; the blends may have improved by a little age, and you may have developed in your taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...an afterthought, it's no 965 match, but again, another good counterpoint, Cornell & Diehl's Stratfordshire, a Black Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental and Virginia blend, has really robust strength and taste and might make a good part of a rotation that also includes 965.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
MSO, I was just going to ask in your other thread what the comparison might be to 965, and how favorable you found one over the other.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Quick update, I bought a tin of SG full Va flake and the first bowl was lovely! I pulled it apart long ways, dried it ina towel for 45 minutes and then packed away. Each flake weighs around 4.5-5.6 grams!
I'm currently drying a 4.8 gram flake for 1 hour so I can weigh it after to see how much weight it loses. Although it's cheaper than Dunhill ribbon cut tins I have a feeling the excess moisture will mean that less coin up front won't equate to a cheaper smoke.
Seriosuly though, that first bowl was just what i wanted, it was modest, sweet and gentle. The tin note was so.. borderline non existant! I could pick up a sweetness but it smelt more like tinned tomatoe juice than baccy lol.
I shall report further on my conclusions after my second bowl in an hour! ;)
Gona order from a local online shop (I'm English) and spend gthe £30 for free delivery and get a bunch of VA and maybe a random blend as I loved the Dunhill ribbon. (the baccy shop I got the Sg Va flake from hadn't even ehard of the Mac baren latakia flake.. I had a friend pick it up for me or I'd have likely gone bananas in there)

Status
Not open for further replies.