PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have come to the conclusion that I am one picky s.o.b. Before I began collecting American artisan pipes, I really did not give much thought to stem design. If I liked the look of a pipe and thought it was going to be a good smoker, I bought it thinking nothing about the button or design of the stem. After purchasing my first Rad Davis pipe in August of 2012 and feeling the huge difference of a hand cut stem with a great button design, I began looking at the stem as closely as anything else before purchasing a pipe. I began to realize that I like a flatter stem with a pronounced button as a more rounded stem with not much of a button was very uncomfortable to me. I clench almost all of the time so now when I reach for my factory pipes there is a huge difference to me. I have noticed now that each of my artisan pipes do have a better designed stem( for me ) than my factory ones and that there are also very small differences in the artisan pipes as well. For example my two Ruthenbergs both have great buttons, but the stem is a couple of millimeters more round than my Rads and there is a minute difference. The Ruthenbergs are very comfortable, but just a bit less than the Rads. I am smoking my Jody Davis pipe right now and that has the flatter stem like the Rads and also my Scott Thile has that flatter design.
So does anyone else get nuts about their stems and does it factor in to your decision about whether to buy a pipe or not? Is the stem design and button a deal breaker on a pipe and do you buy pipes from certain makers because you like how the stems feel?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have been finding that I too like how the stem feels in my mouth. My Big Ben Presidential which is a factory made pipe has a flatter stem which sits very comfortably in my mouth as opposed to my GBD prehistoric. I love both pipes but as for stem the Big Ben wins.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
One of the reasons I collect Comoy's are because of their stems. Comoy vulcanite stems, carring the early three part C inlay logo, tend to be real thin, with stout buttons, which are ideal for clenching. Now if only the vulcanite wouldn't oxidize I'd be one happy camper. Working with pipe repairmen I've recently been able to recreate these thin bits in non-oxidizing Lucite. But for me, thin bits are where its at.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I like a pipe to hang and that to me is the most comfortable way, if it doesn't then light pressure to keep it in place. My Sixten has the thinnest stem and my Tom Eltang and Anne Julie are almost a dead match, these are perfect for me because I don't clench and if I did three wonderful pipes would be trashed. I like all kinds of stem material, and most buttons don't really bother me unless they are p-lip's that have been abused, i.e. an estate pipe. I have wood, vulcanite, amber, rubber, bone, reed, plastic, ebonite and horn and they all work for me.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed. I really like my Mario Grandi but the dang button is just square and huge. Its like puffing on a big Lego.
My Savinelii Milano has the best stem I've ever tried. I'm really liking that line.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Harris I'm in total agreement with you. A well made, hand cut stem is what makes a good pipe great. I agree that Rad, Brian Ruthenberg and Scott Thile make the best stems in the world. I also recommend Nate King, Andy Petersen and Grant Batson.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Here's a great stem for you guys who prefer artisan pipes ("Toot, toot!"):
4769d.jpg

4769f.jpg

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
In keeping with PAD and TAD should this be SAD, stem artisan disorder. :rofl:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with you, the stem and button is one of the first things I notice on a pipe, I work backwards from those details to the bowl shape, stain, etc. If the button isn't comfortable, the pipe just doesn't work for me. I've reshaped a few to suit my style, which is easy enough done on vulcanite stems. That might be one aspect of an estate pipe that suits me - typically the stem has to be cleaned up, which means sanded/buffed which always decreases all diameters slightly.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
After I purchased a PS Studio pipe (made in Russia under the supervision of Vladimir Grechukhin, gotta start saving for one of those), by far the thinnest stem out of of the pipes I have, I've noticed my other pipes don't seem to be as comfortable. I'm not a clencher, only for a minute or two if needed, but I fear it's so thin that something might happen to it if I did clench more. The airway in the bit end of the PS Studio seems to be wider and flatter than my other pipes too. Oh, and it's also my favorite stem. Stems that are a very close second are Rad Davis' and Steve Liskey's.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice to know I am not alone with my obsession about stems. Of all my factory pipes my Upshalls have the most comfortable followed by Castello. If Castello used vulcanite they would be a pretty comfortable stem as they are pretty thin with a nice button.
pitchfork, lol, where do I sign up for that masterpiece.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have to say before meeting Harris I paid little attention on stems, or for that matter, little attention to pipe construction.
Trying Rads stems changed all that
The delineated button now is of major importance to me, a well as the stem approaching the button.
My favorite stem would end off flat, thin and with a very distinct button that s very sharp and crisp
In the past, bowl finish and shape were most important; they still are but now i realize there are other factors To consider

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am in complete agreement Harris. A nice flat stem with a pronounced button is very important to me. It makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. I did notice my Ruthenburg is tiny bit rounder but still a lot more comfortable than most of the factory pipes I own. I had to send a Dunhill 4109 to Mike Myers because the stem is just a bear to clench. I am really looking forward to a nice hand cut Cumberland for that one.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
pitchfork, lol, where do I sign up for that masterpiece.
You can sign up here:

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=4769#.UbP0q9i6qSo
Would you believe that's a Tom Eltang? Cheapest one you'll ever find, too (c.60 Euro).
Description:

Tom wants to use all of the briar in the blocks instead of simply throwing out the leftovers from his regular pipe production, and thats how he invented the Sailor pipe. The pipe is fitted with a sturdy carbon fiber shank/stem.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Stems are very important to me, as well. It's interesting to hear that Castello stems are comfortable because I've actually shied away from them so far because the stems look thick (and they're acrylic). Admittedly, I've never actually held a Castello in my hand, but from photos they look fairly middle-of-the-road in terms of thickness and comfort.
For me, the stem shape actually affects the taste of the tobacco. I don't know if this sounds odd to other folks, but if you drink wine at all, you know that any wine tastes better out of a thin-rimmed glass than out of a coffee mug. (And some people will spend large sums of money for what they believe to be the very best glassware.)
I think where I differ from a lot of smokers is, I don't like a sharp or prominent button at all. If it's too high, I file it down. One of the things I like about Andrew Marks's pipes is, that he rounds the button on both sides so that there are no sharp edges.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I will admit that I am still in the learning process with regard to pipes and stems. Since I use softie bits, stem material is irrelevant to me at this time. Maybe as I progress stems will become more important. (However, I am having quite a time getting used to P-Lips.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitchfork, Castello stems are not real rounded so they are fairly comfortable but since they are acrylic it makes them no where near as comfortable as my vulcanite stems. I think I make allowances for the Castello stems because they do smoke so well. Plus they do make different ones. On their smaller pipes they are not as big and thick. Their bigger pipes can have some enormous uncomfortable stem. My Dublin has a nice one, I had a shape 49 Calabash that also was nice and their Egg has a very thin stem. I had some large Castellos that were impossible to clench.
I guess a nice pronounced button would be tough to clench when you take your dentures out. :nana:

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I'm really finicky about the buttons on my pipes. That's one reason I got rid of my Castellos. I must have had only larger pipes, because they were all uncomfortable to me. That's also been one of my pet peeves with Ashton over the years. The stems are thin enough, but the button is so small the pipe doesn't feel secure, and I find myself really chomping down on them. The later stuff from Jimmy Craig seems to be a lot better in this respect. On pipes I consider good smokers, the button just seems to lock into my teeth like it grew there, and clenching is effortless.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
pitchfork, Castello stems are not real rounded so they are fairly comfortable but since they are acrylic it makes them no where near as comfortable as my vulcanite stems. I think I make allowances for the Castello stems because they do smoke so well. Plus they do make different ones.
Harris, once again you are 100% correct. I was hooked on Castello before I tried a Rad Davis. Their stems are comfortable to an extent but do vary quite a bit. Hopefully the pics below will show some of the differences. My 3K "Black Dot" Castello is the bulkiest but it is a big pipe and at 50g is it nearing my limit for clenching comfort. Now on the other hand the little 2K Sea Rock between the two Vergens is super flat and thin with a nice button. At 35g it is the most comfortable Castello I own. They all do smoke great, but the Vergen Cutty,Dublin, as well as the Sea Rock I mentioned are my best clinchers.
All that being said, the day I received my first Rad Davis with a hand cut Cumberland stem, and it fit my teeth perfectly, I knew then that Artisan stems were the way to go. I haven't bought a factory pipe since. I am not saying I won't but it is time to be a lot more selective now.

Status
Not open for further replies.