PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
It’s rare that I buy clothes. I age my clothes like they’re a fine wine. For me, spending money on clothes is painful. I have shirts and pants, about 6 each, that go back 12 years. My socks have holes, and are about 5 years old, my underwear are very well aged. Yes I work, but I’m a master at rotating clothing.
So my wife recently finished the wash and says.
“Honey, you need to buy some clothes.”
“No. I don’t need clothes.”
“OMG. LOOK AT THESE? They are full of holes and thread bare.”
“NO.”
“OK, then I’ll buy them for Xmas?”
“I won’t wear them.”
“Please?”
“NO.” You wanna buy me something? Buy me a new pipe.”
“You can’t wear a pipe?”
“Now your definitely wrong. And to prove it. I’m putting this conversation on the pipe smoking forum. Let’s allow the experts to chime in on whether or not smoking a pipe is akin to wearing a pipe.”
“If The majority say yes, I win and you buy me a new pipe for Xmas. If you win, you buy me a new pair of undies, or two?”
“Your crazy.” You think people are going to respond about this?”
Well, she finally agreed to this post. Come on, help me out here. I want a new pipe more than I want new undies.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
To Mrs. Indiana,

Sure you wear a pipe! It's as much a fixture, an article, and accessory as a pair of earrings for a lady or a fine hat for a gentleman. It may even transcend the realm of clothing and actually be as much a part of the face of a smoker as a beard or the fine lip sweaters we call a mustach! Indeed they come in more shapes, sizes, colors, brands, and fancies than any brand of underwear that I know of. So my dear lady, do yourself and you distinguished husband a favor and buy him a nice new pipe.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Dude,buy some clothes. It's getting cold out. A pipe will only keep you so warm.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I "wear" my pipes. Certainly I do. I look good with some and awful with others and absolutely use that as one of the criteria for buying a pipe. I don't smoke one particular pipe with any particular outfit or anything like that, but my pipes were chosen partly for looks, just like I'd choose a sweater or pair of pants. And I always say I favor traditional British (sorry, English) shapes because I want to wear the pipe and not have the pipe wearing ME.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm having trouble seeing a reeking pipe as an accessory used to "complete" an ensemble. Pipe = earrings? Not in my world! But, I do not dress to impress either. I think of my pipe more as an appendage than an accessory. Standing in front of the mirror, in my faded, red "union suit," trying on different pipes? I think not!
In another vein: I'm impressed that your wife knows your tastes in pipes well enough that you'd let her buy you one. You, sir, are indeed a lucky man!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Greetings Mrs Indiana,
Your courageous husband needs a new pipe for xmas because that would relect how much you care about him considerably more than underwear. Even he can figure out what to do if one morning his underwear drawer was suddenly empty and there weren't any in the wash either.

tinner
"I'm impressed that your wife knows your tastes in pipes well enough that you'd let her buy you one." :D
I'm not a dress to impress guy at all either, BUT I draw the line at holey underwear. Good luck Frank 8)

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Pipes are the most important fashion accessories that a smoker can own, gotta vote for the pipe.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Dude, buy yourself a package of underwear NOW so she can get you a pipe for Christmas! It ain't rocket science. :crazy:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Tell her you will only wear Hermes, after she get's a look at the price a pipe will seem like the obvious choice.

http://usa.hermes.com/man/ready-to-wear/under-garments/underpants/rtw-men-underpant-53633.html

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
BTW ... a pubic service announcement should you venture into this territory:
509ef1b23b6f26da4c78526ccaa101aaf7f50a217335339b8371474ee505bf29.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pipe all the way, you can pick up clothes any time. I just pulled a pair of tidy-whites from my drawer last nigth and they were full of holes. I laughed, showed them to the wife and said "well, I only have a few more years of use left in this pair". She chucked them.. Good luck!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I side with the wife. Clothes (the kind you mentioned are cheap especially at WalMart etc. Buy a few shirts and a couple of psir of pants and then get back to the business of extending your pipe collection.
Remember a happy life is made by a happy wife.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Okay the way I add this up it's 11 for undies, 6 for pipes.
GEEZ guys! I thought you were on my side. Now because of you I have to lie to my wife and tell her the majority on the forum says pipe over undies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
:rofl: I think there's room for both under the tree. Sounds like you'll need to give a little to get a little. But as to your argument a pipe can be regarded as a fashion accessory; if it was just a tool we wouldn't care what they looked like.

Jun 4, 2014
Women don't understand that it takes years before a pair of underwear is properly broken in. If you always have a pipe on your person then its part of your daily attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.