PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Uncle, Help! What should I use to cut out the inside of the bowl on a pipe I'm making? It's not ready yet but just looking ahead. Thanks

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I grind my own bits. But then I have worked in metal and wood all my life. The folks at PIMO are super ! They are honest to the extreme and the service is amazing.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks alot, I'm trying to do it all by hand like the old days, any tips?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
POWER TOOLS! All kidding aside it is a whole lot easier to deal with hardwoods if you use modern tools. Even early on most pipes were shaped on a lathe initially. A pole lathe is a real experience to operate.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
lathe would be best.

spade bits can crack and chip out the type of wood you are using.

brad and (i prefer) forstner at a slower speed preferably in a drill press. will give a much cleaner bore prefered by cabinette makers.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A properly sharpened reshaped spade will cut a glass smooth chamber in briar and you don't have the flat bottomed hole that a Bradpoint or Forstner gives you. Some guys drill partway with a forstner and finish up with the spade to get the nicely rounded bottom. I just chuck that baby up in the lathe and watch the shavings foll out of the bowl.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ace,if you don't have a lathe a drill press will do the job quite nicely provided you get the block lined up right. Drill press is what I use even though I have a small lathe. Don't have the right chuck yet to do it in the lathe.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Thank You all, Got My head thinking, Think I'll have fun or go nuts trying too. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.