PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I threw up a price that I thought was a good deal for this estate Brian Ruthenberg, 3 or 4 days before the auction was to close. I honestly did not expect to win as I thought my price was on the low side for this particular pipe. So on Sunday I got on my computer, checked my emails and there it was, another win. I used to always snipe at the end but the last 4 auctions I have won were all done by bidding early. It is kind of weird as that never used to work before.
So here is my 7th Brian Ruthenberg pipe. It is perfect sized group 4 that weighs in at 48 grams. I love the thick walls on this pipe as with all my pipes from Brian, they have really thick walls yet are very light in weight. This is also the first pipe from Brian that I have seen in this color which I really like. I am excited to get this one as it will be my third Apple shaped pipe of Brians and my other 2 are flake smoking machines.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very nice! I've always wondered if there was any point in bidding until the last minute. Well, your experiences illustrate that it sometimes is. That's a mighty fine apple.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I had my eye on the apple, as well. I was able to exercise sufficient self-control to refrain from bidding on it.

Now that I feel morally superior to you, Harris, I must admit I should have jumped in on that beauty!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso489, I have always believed in sniping at the end as you do. I am really shocked that my new system has worked so well. I have lost a few auctions doing this but the price was over my good deal price so I feel as it I lost nothing.
elpfeife, I am pretty sure you are morally superior to me as I have no morals. lol I am glad you showed such restraint as I really liked getting that pipe at the price I paid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cigrmaster, next time PAD attacks, maybe I'll fight it off with several low ball offers on ebay and see what happens. Maybe the rule is, you either pay too much or too little, so stay low. Actually, I believe the winning bids hit all over the target, and a few on the bullseye of the perfect fair deal. I don't think you benefit following the bidding through the roof and into the sky, since you can't be sure the pipe is a winner on ebay anyway.
My favorite apples were both bagged on the Iwan Ries pipe sales, a bent Vuillard, and a Ropp red stained raspberry stem straight, which looks more like a Christmas pipe than most of those sold as Christmas pipes, though it wasn't, and both real smooth French smokers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, all of my winning bids were not low ball offers as I have never won a thing doing that. I know what the prices are for estate Ruthenbergs, so I bid a price that I consider to be fair and something I can maybe win. My high bid on this pipe was 250.00 which is pretty much what the average price for an estate Ruthenberg goes for. All of my estate Ruthenbergs came in at between 200-250. This one I got for less than my high bid so I was very happy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds reasonable, and intelligent. You probably have better command of market values on these pipes than most, so that gives you a pretty good range on it. Makes sense. So to bid early, probably best to make a "best fair value" bid. Also, for fine artisan pipes, this probably works because the low ball bidders are scared off. Interesting. Maybe I'd better stick with the deep discount sales. I bought a Ser Jacopo that way and have never seen another comparable pipe at that price since; I think they raised prices so even the discounts don't get back to what I paid.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, I believe you are correct that I may be scaring off the low ballers, interesting take. I would think with the Euro being so low that you should be able to get some good deals at foreign shops for your Ser Jac's. Do you buy estate Ser Jac's?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just picked up a Ruthenberg estate from Rodrigo last week, otherwise I'd've battled you for that one ;) that's a nice one!! Also I've been around the eBay market a lot and his auctions are a VERY different animal than any of the others. Rules that apply to other sellers don't apply on his. It's fascinated me to no end.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Harris,

I go 50/50 when I bid on eBay, I.e. 50% of the time I drop what I feel comfortable with spending on the item, I do this after seeing if the are general sellers or tobacciana is their focus. If the former I bid early in an auction, if the latter I snipe, still a crap shoot either way depending on how much exposure the item is getting and the mood of the audiences mind and Walt. ;) Another beautiful Ruthenberg for your collect nice one to make that 7 day set too!

banjo

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is appreciated.
iamn8, what do you mean by very different auctions? I have been watching treasurepipes for years and in the last week I have won 2 of his auctions. This Ruthenberg and the Abe Herbaugh, both times I bid early and just let it sit. I have seen feeding frenzies on his stuff so many times, one time I saw an estate Cooke go for 1400.00 and change. Far above the original price. So if you mean people who bid on his stuff are on the crazier side, I do agree. Now are you referring to the theory that is out there that he employs shills? I have seen that been said numerous times throughout the years, some guys swear he does use them, others swear he does not. I usually never bid on his auctions because the winning bids are generally way too high for what the pipe is worth. I just got lucky with my 2 I think.
monty, glad you didn't as my high bid was only 250.00.
fish, interesting system, I would do the same on people who are general sellers.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
God no!! I have nothing bad to say about him!! He is a very trusted advisor to me and we chat often. He's the best seller out there. The price his pipes go for accurately reflect true marked value because he's trustworthy almost to a fault. Because he's so good at what he does his pipes often times fetch premiums because you can trust him. I've watched his auctions long enough to very accurately predict what the pipe will sell for. We've discussed this a few times. All the other sellers aren't anywhere near as predictable, not even close.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Although I know only what I see here about Brian's work I can very plainly see that his work is impeccable. I love every part of this particular piece but the band work and Cumberland have me drooling. Nice win Harris, congrats!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You were lucky to get that beauty! On my eBay phone app, that one shows 35 retracted bids. His auctions do seem to have a very high level of retracted bids. A bidder with a "0" eBay rating put a $236.00 bid in two minutes before the auction ended.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
iamn8, thanks for your post. What do you make out of the person with 0 feedbback throwing up a bid with 2 minutes left? Many sellers don't even allow people with 0 feedbacks to bid on their auctions.
Al, thanks for bringing that to my attention, not that is makes any difference as I was willing to go to 250.00 anyway. 35 retracted bids on one auction is shady. I can see a couple of so, but 35? When I look at the auction I cannot see any retracted bids. I am on my laptop and don't own a smart phone. Do you think I should report it to ebay, or am I just wasting my time?
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wonder without the retracted bids, how low the final price would have been? That person pushed you to nearly your max, and it seems like they knew it.
I've called eBay twice now on this, they've promised to follow up each time, yet the retracted bids continue. I threatened to stop using eBay if they don't do something about the issue (yeah, right...) If the retracted bids are pushing the final price, that benefits eBay and sellers. So, I don't guess they'll work to hard resolving the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.