PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't smoked any Lake District scented blends since my early years as a pipe smoker -- say, 30 years ago. But I pride myself on "smoking widely"; I feel like it's time to revisit these blends.
I'm looking for recommendations for the lightest-scented, most beginner-friendly blend around. I haven't really enjoyed Lakelands in the past, so I'm wanting a blend that can ease me in. And then I'm looking for the blends to go to after that.
Thanks for any ideas.
Bob

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
GH Glengarry Flake is a very mildly scented VA flake. GH Best Brown #2 is ostensibly unscented, but it definitely has a faint whiff of that special Lakeland aroma.
I smoke them both and BB #2 is one of my favorite VA flakes.
GH Brown Flake Unscented is also, well, a little bit "scented." You might give that a try. It's a smooth, chocolately VA and burley flake with just a little bit of "something" added to it.
If you want to venture further into the Lake District, you might give Grasmere a try. It's flavored with geranium and rose, but it's fairly mild compared to some of the others.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Try G&H Rum Flake. I really like it and the Lakeland flavor isnt too strong, but it is there.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I would recommend Peterson's Hyde Park. It's a coarsely rubbed flake, and the best burning tobacco I've ever smoked. It always seems to smoke to the bottom with one true light. It has a solid lakeland style, but not as floral. More maple and rum. I believe it is blended for Peterson by Gawith Hoggarth.
SG kendal cream flake is also mild. Milder, to my taste. Both have solid Nicotine.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I firmly believe Lakelands are best just jumped into with a huge leap of faith. Don't ease in with a toe in the water-- go off the high board at a run. It's way more fun that way. I'm a confirmed fan of these scented baccies and my first were Condor and Coniston Cut Plug-- most emphatically NOT easing in to the genre. Bosun Cut Plug is also great and Ennerdale Flake is heavily scented but milder in strength than some others.
Go for it.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'll second G&H's Brown Flake un-scented.
I ordered eight ounces of this, uncertain whether or not there would be any "Lakeland" essence. I felt like if not, then I'd be getting a good Virginia (possibly), but if so, then this flake should serve as a good Lakeland essence entry tobacco.
The latter proved to be true. I understood the floral/perfume/soapy descriptions immediately. It was, however, or is, rather... Very faint, which is exactly what you said you're looking for.
I suggest breaking the flake up fairly well, not too much though, and letting it dry out a bit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Peterson Hyde Park, like Bryanf recommended. I've tried a variety of Lakelands in the past, and just couldn't stay with them;

but Hyde Park is the one Lakeland that I will smoke because the scent/flavor is subtle -- almost to the point of being intriguing.

If you like dark pressed VaPer flakes, Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Flake has a tolerably low level of Lakeland scent, though IMO

more than Hyde Park.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would also recommend Glengarry Flake to try. If you want to go off the deep end, I throw in my two cents for Ennerdale Flake. Without any topping but still with that essence is Bright CR Flake.
Most of the heavily scented flakes/plug will ghost your pipes, so keep that in mind.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love GH Dark Flake; although it's probably scented in some way, it seems to be mostly unadorned. I don't pick up on any topping.

Coniston Cut Plug is significantly scented.

Bosun Cut Plug is heavy.

1792 is heavy. I find the tonquin flavoring very complex and very good.
In general all that I've had to do to enjoy the scented Lakelands is give up my notions about how a "tobacco" is supposed to taste and try to enjoy the scenting. I've not smoked one that is heavy without also appreciating what my palate tells me is the substrate tobacco; that is, the blenders don't skimp on quality tobacco.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for all the great ideas, guys!
I'm actually a big fan of Brown Flake Unscented and Bob's Chocolate Flake, which both have a whiff of the Lakeland essence -- but only due to being produced on the same machines.
I have a tin of G&H Rum Flake in my to-be-smoked-next drawer! Didn't realize it had any Lakeland character at all, so I might have to pull that one out. And thanks for the recommendations of both Kendal Cream and Grousemoor. Those look like well-regarded blends.
Looking back at my notes from the mid-1980s, I see I've only tried Gallaher's Condor Long Cut and Erinmore Flake. About Erinmore, I said, "Well-made, but the violet-like scent and flavor is perhaps too unusual." And about the Condor, I wrote, "It is lighter, and perhaps smoother, than Erinmore. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever come to fully appreciate this unusual taste."
So it looks like, when it comes to appreciating -- or at least understanding -- this style, I've got my work cut out for me! But at this point, I'd just like to say I've gotten through even a single tin of a scented Lakeland blend.
Bob

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
G&H Bob's Chocolate and Kendall Flake are both very good, but not overpowering with the floral scent.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Condor was the first lakeland I ever smoked, and my initial impression was, "What the @#%!!???". Most bizarre thing I ever tasted. By the 3rd bowl, I was hooked, and wanted to taste every lakeland I could get in my pipe. Fortunately, Cortez sent me well over a pound of many different varieties. That day was like Christmas. Better, even! He is also the one who turned me on to Hyde Park. I would buy it in bulk, if it were available. It's that good.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
Most of the heavily scented flakes/plug will ghost your pipes,
If you are lucky.
I really like the Rum Flake. If you already like Brown Flake Unscented, you could try Brown Flake Scented.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Strength:

Full
Tobacco:

Dark Fired Kentucky, Virginia
Style:

Aromatic

Brand: Samuel Gawith Pipe Tobacco
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake....go for it and don't look back....

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Hmmm…. the Lakelands I most enjoy are Kendal Flake, Coniston Cut Plug and Ennerdale Flake.

For a long time I refused to even try Lakelands, based solely on the descriptions of them I'd come across, but finally my curiosity got the best of me and I ordered small amounts of a half-dozen GH blends. I fell in love instantly, and haven't looked back. But some people really dislike them, and if you're one of them -- don't worry about it!

In the meantime, I would recommend the above mentioned blends as good places to start. You will definitely get the Lakeland flavors here, but each of those blends has a very different take on it. You can taste the underlying tobaccos in these blends, as well, which is a huge plus.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Grousemoore is the only blend people call a lakeland that I just can't do.
All the lakelands mentioned, and which most people commonly refer to as "lakelands" (whether that's a mistake or not) are comprised of a Dark flake Virginia/Burley mix, with a floral or tonquin essence added.
Grousemoore on the other hand is a bright ribbon with a ton of Honey and Citrus topping, and has really nothing in common with the above mentioned blends.
Some people really love it. Cortez sent me a sample, and I couldn't finish a bowl of it, but still keeping it on hand in case I change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.