PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I have a nice Tim West sitter that I want to sell. I haven't been a member long enough to list it but am hoping I can can get some advice as to what it is worth and what I need to do to get it into a saleable condition.
Tim made it for me back in 1998 or 1999 and I think I paid $150 for it at that time. It is in great shape except for some tar buildup on the rim which could be easily removed. I don't know how to restore and sanitize a pipe for sale so I am looking for some advice. I want to sell it because I've moved on to smaller pipes. I'll try to take some pictures and post them.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
boilermakerandy:
Unless your pipe is simply gross, you might consider listing it for sale "as is," noting that it IS used, and that it will require cleaning before use by the buyer. Too often sellers try to "improve" their pipes by reaming, cleaning, and buffing, and inadvertently do more harm than good.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just list it "as is". I haven't been a member long enough to list it so will do so later.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could go with the salt and alcohol treatment, but I do a yearly treatment with an alcohol lamp and retort. The retort will sanitize everything from the chamber all the way back through the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.