I need help identifying these guys.........

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
_571-600x449.jpg

Does anyone know who this is supposed to be? This CAO pipe was carved by I. Bekler. I thought I'd be able to do some research and figure out who he is, but so far, I'm turning up nothing.
I'd appreciate any and all the help I can get. I have three others with the same situation.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
I tried comparing this and the others to photos on the web. The more I looked, the more confused I became.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Those are two different pipes and two different men. I said Mozart originally but I would concur with the other guys and say Beethoven for the top pipe. The guy on the second pipe has a modern necktie so I would lean to someone more modern. Wayne Newton isn't a bad guess.

May 31, 2012
That looks like Sparks to me. The burnt spot on the top of his hair is a dead give away.
LOL

:lol:

Hey!

I got a burnt spot on the top of my head too!
Nix on Beethoven and Mozart - looks more like Wayne Newton than Ludwig or Wolfgang.

A Wayne Newton meerschaum?

{shiver}

8O
The top one kinda looks like Oscar Wilde...
Awesome-Facebook-Status-24865-statusmind.com.jpg

:

:

:
I don't think it's Ludwig Van either...
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCQRLA05AA

:

:
Here's what a Beethoven CAO looks like,

CAO Beckler Beethoven Estate Vintage Never Smoked!!
...but ya never know, could be anybody - another composer, famous writer, politician - it'd be hard to track down!
And maybe the carving isn't even an accurate depiction,

I mean,

this pipe is supposed to be James Dean,

SMS Meerschaum Pipe! James Dean! Carved By Ismet Bekler! Carved in Turkey!

but it looks more like Andrew Dice Clay!

LOL

"Dat's what I think"
Who knows though,

maybe someone here will recognize it and fill in the blanks!
Could be Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel for all I know,

hopefully someone will name the right tune!

:idea:

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
It depends on the age of the person when the image was created. That's what had me chasing my tail.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I think we can rule Beethoven out. Here's his death mask for comparison.
beethovendeathmask_zps6e12825f.jpg

Internet searches lead to some interesting places.
Masks of Famous Dead People
Of course the pipe carving could be Beethoven as the pipe carving thought he should look. Artistic License, I suppose.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
[quoteThere's no markings at all that would lead to a clue?[/quote]
Nothing. Just Bekler's signature and the CAO logo on the stem.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
"babalooie, I understand your quest and intent. But as it has proven rather challenging so far, maybe the best is just to smoke them and enjoy them?
The problem here is that some pipes are carved after famous people, but others, are not. i agree with you that they might be famous, but figuring it out might be a pain more than anything else.
just my modest 2 cents. :)"
Originally, I got the pipes thinking it would be "fun" to research them. I'd find out some interesting tid-bits and have the satisfaction of knowing who these gents are. I made the mistake of thinking there was all sorts of information available if a person was patient and stuck with it. That's how things work with antique firearms.
I'm amazed at the lack of info available about pipes. CAO was bought out by some company more interested in cigars, I guess. Usually when a company is sold, the previous historical information is generally of no interest to the current owners and is trashed. I hope I'm wrong.
Too bad no collector types have published a book relating to "modern" meerschaum pipes. I think it would help collectors in many ways.
I'll post the other two photos and whether I get info on them or not, I'll enjoy them for what they are; nice pipes. I'm glad I got 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.