PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Last week I placed my largest briar order to date with my Calabrian briar supplier-about $1,600 bucks. Just found out today that he is still trying to figure out how to comply with the new phytosanitary regukations in the EU that were tightened up in March. This basically governs all kinds of plant products and international shipments. I think the issue is that any wood product with bark has to be inspected.
I told him to take his time and get the proper inspections- i really don't want to have my briar sittng in some Itallian govenrment warehouse for the next year or so...i suspect the cost of briar is about to go up....

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Zack, this has been a regulation coming for quite a few years. When I worked in international shipping years ago, this was the norm. Its trickling down to the small business level now. As you know its just to make sure that the wood from pallets/packaging made in foreign countries does not contain insects/etc imported in. As the wood is chemically or pressure treated. Yes, it does cause delays and additional cost to certify.

Good luck.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No surprise. Shipping anything on wood pallets from the USA requires treatment. We used heat treated oak; and, yes, they are more expensive.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Briar really shouldn't be an issue- it's boiled for 24 hours as part of the drying process- it's just being lumped in with a variety of other wood products with bark on the outside......Very annoying in any case- I have a couple of large pipes waiting on the extra large blocks that are coming in...

Status
Not open for further replies.